How long does it take you to do a Domestic rewire? | Page 5 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss How long does it take you to do a Domestic rewire? in the Domestic Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

MDJ

For arguments sake lets assume it is a 3 bed semi with normal pendant lights and normal socket numbers and the house is lived in by a family of 4 people

I have been doing this nearly three years to be precise. I don't deny it, I have never suggested I have been doing it longer. As you can see, my profile is honest "quite new to the trade, slowly but surely building up experience and lesser experienced than some". Its true and accurate.

I'm not even going to bother commenting on the rest..

l'll let you go you own way now, you stick to your 60 minute make overs and ill stick to my 10 day long and drawn out painfully agonising rewires due to the lack of experience and understanding that I have.

It is not for me to make that decision, but on that subject I would like to apologise to MDJ, for his thread being hijacked this way, he started a good thread and it as gone down the pan, so I am going to keep quiet now.

My thread has been trashed, It seems I have enemies here
You do not have enemies here mate and I apologise again as I did in the earlier post.

I have been doing this nearly three years to be precise. I don't deny it, I have never suggested I have been doing it longer. As you can see, my profile is honest "quite new to the trade, slowly but surely building up experience and lesser experienced than some". Its true and accurate.

I'm not even going to bother commenting on the rest..

l'll let you go you own way now, you stick to your 60 minute make overs and ill stick to my 10 day long and drawn out painfully agonising rewires due to the lack of experience and understanding that I have.

Yes well that was the plan last time.

I think the best thing is for me to leave the forum completely to be honest..Every thread I am involved in goes down hill as others don't accept what I do, So Ill look into that.
I was only kidding about the enemies bit mate, everyone knows I like a laugh here, that said the thread does need to close. As for you leaving= don't be silly, your just starting to make friends and get your feet under the table, it is hard for everyone when they first come on here. You will soon love it here, now cheer up and get the beers in as you are now a member off the Arms you tight fisted so and so, your round :earmuffs:

I was only kidding about the enemies bit mate, everyone knows I like a laugh here, that said the thread does need to close. As for you leaving= don't be silly, your just starting to make friends and get your feet under the table, it is hard for everyone when they first come on here. You will soon love it here, now cheer up and get the beers in as you are now a member off the Arms you tight fisted so and so, your round :earmuffs:

So why won't you accept my apology then, I am feeling a bit left out now :nopity:

I think the best thing is for me to leave the forum completely to be honest..Every thread I am involved in goes down hill as others don't accept what I do, So Ill look into that.

yeah a wouldn't take the huff and leave , you will learn a lot in here stick with it , you just made the mistake that a lot of people on here make including myself , (me am talking about here) you think you are a great spark , super at everything, know everything and have done everything , i will teach a few of the guys on here stuff , then you get shot down in flames and realise some of the stuff you have been taught or learned is wrong or the lazy way to do it , i have took it on the chin and i am just glad i am doing it correct now , best thing I've done joining this. i have said it before and i will say it again i have been doing this 10 years and i reckon i ve got another 10 year before i am as good as some of the guys on here

All of us spend every day playing with cables, a job that I have done for many decades, One reason because I like my job!! and that to me is more than money, of course we are all in it to earn a living.Seen a lot of changes over the years, some good some bad, new products have made the installation side of things a lot easer today, but the electrical craft principles will never change whilst electricity is still passed through copper conductors etc. Maybe one day with new tech cables won't be needed anymore lol, but lets hope that ain't for a long time to come.(til retire in 15yrs)

Re-wire time.....takes what it takes IMO each one different all have there own problems, however i stick to the theory do right no matter how long it takes then you can sleep at night. If its taking longer than you said sit down with a coffee and talk to the client, keep them in the picture at all times.

If JRC is saying they have 4 men on the job doing 13 hour days for 2 days that makes 104 man hours on the job, which is pretty much the same hours as a 2 man team working 8-9 hour days for 5-6 days.

Over a quarter of the sparks on here reckon it should take them 5 days or less, mostly with 2 men on the job, presumably on something like 8 hour days, so I can only assume that those laying into him haven't bothered to do the maths on the actual man hours on site.

Takes some stamina to do those hours regularly mind, but if they're doing it day in day out then I don't see any reason why an experienced team with a good gaffer can't do the same amount of work with 4 men in 2 long days as a 2 man team can do in 5-6 days.

Don't forget that the laborer and plasterer will be doing all the stuff like furniture moving, sheeting. and probably chasing etc leaving 2 sparks to focus almost entirely on the electrics, rather than having sparks wasting their time doing that sort of work.

Basically it will be a much more cost and time efficient way of working, and I see no reason at all for people on here to be casting aspersions about this guy's business just because he chooses to work his backside off, and staff his jobs up to make the most efficient use of the sparks time on site.

Reminds me of my incredulity in hearing about companies doing solar installs in a day a few years back, when we were taking 2 as standard... we now do most of our solar installs in a day after getting more practiced at it and cutting out a lot of dead time, making sure we have all the right kit etc. and adding an extra man on the more complex jobs. I'd also say that if anything the quality has gone up.

If JRC is saying they have 4 men on the job doing 13 hour days for 2 days that makes 104 man hours on the job, which is pretty much the same hours as a 2 man team working 8-9 hour days for 5-6 days.

Over a quarter of the sparks on here reckon it should take them 5 days or less, mostly with 2 men on the job, presumably on something like 8 hour days, so I can only assume that those laying into him haven't bothered to do the maths on the actual man hours on site.

Takes some stamina to do those hours regularly mind, but if they're doing it day in day out then I don't see any reason why an experienced team with a good gaffer can't do the same amount of work with 4 men in 2 long days as a 2 man team can do in 5-6 days.

Don't forget that the laborer and plasterer will be doing all the stuff like furniture moving, sheeting. and probably chasing etc leaving 2 sparks to focus almost entirely on the electrics, rather than having sparks wasting their time doing that sort of work.

Basically it will be a much more cost and time efficient way of working, and I see no reason at all for people on here to be casting aspersions about this guy's business just because he chooses to work his backside off, and staff his jobs up to make the most efficient use of the sparks time on site.

Reminds me of my incredulity in hearing about companies doing solar installs in a day a few years back, when we were taking 2 as standard... we now do most of our solar installs in a day after getting more practiced at it and cutting out a lot of dead time, making sure we have all the right kit etc. and adding an extra man on the more complex jobs. I'd also say that if anything the quality has gone up.

Thanks mate, someone finally makes sense of this.

Very well said

I work on my own and allow at least 10 days for a basic rewire of an emptied house, just for my two pennies.

I've been off the forum for a while, been busy in show land, so I've popped my head in the door to find handbags at dawn.

You can tell it's the quiet period.

I work on my own and allow at least 10 days for a basic rewire of an emptied house, just for my two pennies.

I've been off the forum for a while, been busy in show land, so I've popped my head in the door to find handbags at dawn.

You can tell it's the quiet period.

Its hunting season dont you know !!

Thanks mate, someone finally makes sense of this.
no worries, I used to work in events, and we'd rig up entire arena stages, flown lighting rigs, sound rigs, projection screens etc. from the trucks in about 4-5 hours, then derig them and load them into the trucks in 3 hours starting pretty much the second the show finished.

nuts how fast we'd be able to do that, but then there was usually 10 tour crew and 20-30 local crew on the job working absolutely flat out until the job was done.

I reckon most people would expect it'd take 2-3 days to get something like that rigged up and at least a day to derig and load up, but those tours do different arenas each night. Taught me a fair bit about efficiency, and what can be possible with a well oiled team with all the right kit for the job, which it sounds like you've got going on.

I was speaking to a spark at my local gun club the other day, works for an outfit that rewires houses and flats for the council. They have ONE day. Usually 6 blokes on it and they're well rehearsed in ripping out and chucking the new stuff in. He reckons the job's done right too. Apparent there's a plumbing team goes in afterwards, they get a day too. All in all, a three bed house gets a complete refurb in 5 days with penalty clauses for anyone who doesn't get their bit done in time. So there you have it, a well practised and large enough crew can get things done tres rapide.

Reply to How long does it take you to do a Domestic rewire? in the Domestic Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net