Maintenance Free JBs | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Maintenance Free JBs in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Morning all

Went into my suppliers to pick up some Hager MF JBs the other day, (which I've used a few times but a bit pricey), to be told that they only had one in stock, when I asked why, he said because they don't hardly shift any, so I asked what other sparks are using as MF he just shrugged his shoulders and said "just get asked for normal JBs"
So is it a case of people not complying do you think or are they getting stuff online such as the Line products?

What does everyone else prefer to use?
I've just ordered my first batch of Line ones are they any good?

I asked for some MF free junction boxes in a local branch of a large national supplier. He offered me Choc Boxes, which I hate! He said he thought another branch, 20 miles return trip away, may have some. I got them of the interweb.

Thanks for the replies,I'll see how the Line stuff goes, think I'll give the carrier bag a miss,unless I run out;-)

Almost all the feedback we get on the Line products is positive, there's several discussions and opinion threads around the forum if you use the search tool so you can check them for yourself.
Line are one of the forum sponsors so you get a discount if you buy on-line (pun not intended) although they don't have a range of MF carrier bags with elastic bands as yet.

Line enclosures and connectors are easy to use and quick have wago and helicon push fit connectors all are simples better than a connector block the line enclosures only problem is if its required to be fixed to a joist as tel says then i would use the wago enclosures

I earlier made a suggestion of using a crisp packet as IP rating but in my fool hardy manner i forgot to mention that alot of packets now are foil based to keep the freshness in so i should have reminded anyone using this method must fit an earthing lug to the bag before powering up...... How idiotic of me to forget to mention such an important piece of information :stupid:

Helacon are great and beat the Wago variety due to the inspection test point. Used with an enclosure that requires a tool, you're all up to date with the regs. Most wiring faults I come across trace back to a screw/twist/crimp joint that has worked loose over time, even on sockets, switches and the classic JB's. Only draw-back with the Wago/Helacon is once it's in, it's in, end of. If you want to join something else, you have to cut them off, so it's advisable to give yourself plenty of slack for the future. How long before we have this style of connector on sockets and switches? Found a lovely pull-switch for a shower the other day, terminals had come loose over the last 20 years, what a mess!

Hi guys. Most of the lads I spoke to last year were either still using jbs or else using thru crinps with single patress and blank plate under floors.

Ive been doing re wires all year so this hasnt come up for me yet, but Im starting with a new company next week doing spurs so will be interested to see how they are doing it.

Are many people admitting to using jbs as it still seems really common from what ive heard? many of the sparks ive asked have said theyve been fitting jbs for years and dont see a problem with it.

Reply to Maintenance Free JBs in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net