meter tails over 10 meters best way to do it | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss meter tails over 10 meters best way to do it in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

pablo4321

Hi just after a bit of advice,we are wiring a new build where the meter is, the tails will be coming from outside into the kitchen they will be coming up the wall to the ceiling along the the middle of the joists to the consumer unit in the wall what is the best way to do this

1) shall i run them in steel conduit and earth the conduit to the earth terminal in the meter.
2) do i need a overcurrent switch fuse in between
3) and is it acceptable to use just normal meter tails to run under the floor in the middle of the joist.

thanks for any advice.

and havent you heard of zinc plating ?
and ive never seen a roofing bolt rust inside a weatherproof enclosure.

every time you shoot your mouth off i'm gonna be right here to pull your pants down in public.
you just dont learn do you ?

Sorry but I don't agree with this. Why should more money be spent on buying 25mm when you should be selecting the cable suitable for the fuse size and installation method. How can you know what is going to happen in the future. Design the circuit to what is there now and not what might be there in 20 years time.

Could I direct your attention to Table 4D4A: Multicore Armoured 70°C thermoplastic insulated cables

16mm² SWA has a CCC of 78A for the method the OP is going to use and thus an 80A fuse would not be allowed, if there is rockwool insulation or similar in the building structure along the cable, and the fact this is a kitchen means the cable has to be further de-rated, and this brings you ominously close to the 60A limit for the lower rated fuse he mentioned.

Simple solution, don't be a cheapskate numpty and install 25mm², I have checked with our wholesaler, and without our company discount attached the price difference between 16mm² and 25mm² is only about £15 for the length of cable spoken about. If £15 blows your budget then you have other fundamental problems to worry about.

That's the difference between a capable spark and a Damned Good Engineer!!

- - - Updated - - -

and havent you heard of zinc plating ?
and ive never seen a roofing bolt rust inside a weatherproof enclosure.

every time you shoot your mouth off i'm gonna be right here to pull your pants down in public.
you just dont learn do you ?

I see the pot has the black paint out again... :D

Whilst your comment about Zinc plated bolts/nuts is correct, all earth connections should use brass bolts unless there is a damned good reason not too, convenience and laziness are not excuses

and youre just whiter than white eh ?
i've seen plenty of dummy spitting by yourself on your short time on the forum.

this pot will remain black and troublesome for the forseeable future.
;-)

i've seen plenty of dummy spitting by yourself on your short time on the forum.QUOTE]

Cant be talking about me.... Im a good boy who never spits out his dummy..

i've seen plenty of dummy spitting by yourself on your short time on the forum.

this pot will remain black and troublesome for the forseeable future.
;-)

I will not enter into such a childish exchange. You are clearly an experienced and knowledgeable electrician and I am sure from your posts do do your best to achieve high standards in your work, but you need to be more even in your comments to others, uncorroborated snide comments do you no justice and simply make you look foolish. If you have something to say to someone, then I would suggest you justify it or make it a PM and not on the forum.

Its not proper love if you dont kiss someone cause they have a cold sore... Ill kiss you Geordie Spark but you have to buy me a beer first.

I will not enter into such a childish exchange. You are clearly an experienced and knowledgeable electrician and I am sure from your posts do do your best to achieve high standards in your work, but you need to be more even in your comments to others, uncorroborated snide comments do you no justice and simply make you look foolish. If you have something to say to someone, then I would suggest you justify it or make it a PM and not on the forum.

sorry , who the hell are you to dish out orders on forum conduct ?

The job needs a proper design, however the cheap nit in me would suggest a 16mm2 twin and earth combined with a 10mm2 earth as the sub main run LOL, TIN HAT on, actually I'd run an armoured but a T&E isn't out of the question if cable Calcs and load taken into account, now where's the bunker hehe

Well, Well, Biff I've snagged more jobs than I care to remember, I'm afraid if my standards are much higher than you are used to, it doesn't make me wrong, YOU HAVE NEVER SEEN a roofing bolt inside an enclosure rust, well well perhaps a visit to specsavers is in order. If I see some of the young lads taking a short cut I'll speak out, so I'm afraid it's time you took note of a few of more experienced members on this forum lol have you never worked on a power station or for the PSA or come to that any major construction site, if you had you would not be using roofing bolts instead of brass I can assure you. (you would not last long)...........
sorry , who the hell are you to dish out orders on forum conduct ?

Reply to meter tails over 10 meters best way to do it in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net