meter tails over 10 meters best way to do it | Page 4 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss meter tails over 10 meters best way to do it in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

pablo4321

Hi just after a bit of advice,we are wiring a new build where the meter is, the tails will be coming from outside into the kitchen they will be coming up the wall to the ceiling along the the middle of the joists to the consumer unit in the wall what is the best way to do this

1) shall i run them in steel conduit and earth the conduit to the earth terminal in the meter.
2) do i need a overcurrent switch fuse in between
3) and is it acceptable to use just normal meter tails to run under the floor in the middle of the joist.

thanks for any advice.

I have only two comments to make on the two pages of playground punch-up that followed a perfectly simple thread:

1) Assumption begins with ---, although in this case it may be in the plural. Had anyone had taken the time to ask as to the nature of the design or purpose, maybe even asked for some background info on supply characteristics then subsequent observations would have been valid, and in fact welcome. As it is, casting high and mighty assertions around that in fact have been wrong based on this afore lack knowledge simply makes those that have done so (as it's not everyone) look like jerks who I wouldn't take advice from regardless.

2) Am I going to lose sleep tonight and wrestle with my conscience for eternity because the day I needed a 6mm brass bolt happened to be the day I'd run out......given the sheer volume of data traffic on this site that is of genuine serious concern.....and substituted it for an equally satisfactory mechanical solution??? Pass me my cider, please.

I have only two comments to make on the two pages of playground punch-up that followed a perfectly simple thread:

1) Assumption begins with ---, although in this case it may be in the plural. Had anyone had taken the time to ask as to the nature of the design or purpose, maybe even asked for some background info on supply characteristics then subsequent observations would have been valid, and in fact welcome. As it is, casting high and mighty assertions around that in fact have been wrong based on this afore lack knowledge simply makes those that have done so (as it's not everyone) look like jerks who I wouldn't take advice from regardless.

2) Am I going to lose sleep tonight and wrestle with my conscience for eternity because the day I needed a 6mm brass bolt happened to be the day I'd run out......given the sheer volume of data traffic on this site that is of genuine serious concern.....and substituted it for an equally satisfactory mechanical solution??? Pass me my cider, please.

Hey Rockingit, haven't you made an assumption about what others have said, or is that another assumption...Oh damn it! :D

Jeez Geordie, you will be having a rainbow tattoo soon, and wearing pink handcuffs!!!!! You've been hanging round too many faggots....... :tongue3:

Hello my little Finance ... what time did you creep in here??

There's nee chance of me having a tattoo - rainbow or otherwise pet.

I have no problem with pink handcuffs as long as you're on the other end of them. ;)

Hello my little Finance ... what time did you creep in here??

There's nee chance of me having a tattoo - rainbow or otherwise pet.

I have no problem with pink handcuffs as long as you're on the other end of them. ;)

Hello my little fiasco!!! :tongue3: I'm just keeping my eye on you chatting up the other pillow-biter........:rockstar:.................erm, you're not batting for the other team are you pet? :winkiss:

Jeez Geordie, you will be having a rainbow tattoo soon, and wearing pink handcuffs!!!!! You've been hanging round too many faggots....... :tongue3:

Thanks tinyboiler, ive been called many things before (most of them are not nice) but ive never been called a '------' before. :tongue3:

When my own meter was changed by Eon earlier this year, they left all the 16mm2 red/black tails in, despite having the perfect opportunity to 'upgrade' them, and despite the fact that the consumer side tails are 25mm. Perhaps they didn't because there is absolutely no need to and it would have been a waste of copper?

When my own meter was changed by Eon earlier this year, they left all the 16mm2 red/black tails in, despite having the perfect opportunity to 'upgrade' them, and despite the fact that the consumer side tails are 25mm. Perhaps they didn't because there is absolutely no need to and it would have been a waste of copper?

These parts, Western Power are installing 16mm Aluminium feeds to all standard new build domestics and 80A main fuses. 25mm Cu tails are just simply a waste of precious metal and money.

TBH, you'll find that 16mm/3c is as cheap as 16/2, and why do you need 25mm if you're down fusing to 60 or 80A??

This is a pic of an armoured 16/3 made off into tails for just this purpose - about 10m between intake and CU, where the cable is run exposed internally on the joists.
View attachment 19065

Nice idea that, are those core sheathed too?

Reply to meter tails over 10 meters best way to do it in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net