MK rapidfix, GAME CHANGER | Page 3 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss MK rapidfix, GAME CHANGER in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

GBDamo

-
Arms
Reaction score
MK have hit the market first with a lever connection based double socket.

I for one will be all over them as they are not too differently priced, £5.99.

That's the one, the price is probably the main reason for using metal boxes!
That is the one. But that is not the price I pay. They are generally speaking equivalent in price to metal boxes over here. I assumed (wrongly) that these pvc flush boxes were widely in use in the UK as well.

That is the one. But that is not the price I pay. They are generally speaking equivalent in price to metal boxes over here. I assumed (wrongly) that these pvc flush boxes were widely in use in the UK as well.

Might be stocked at better prices in NI wholesalers, but I wouldn't have a clue. Just remembered seeing their odd size at one time and filed them away in my mind for later use.

Other than breaking with convention, is there any technical reason why metal boxes are preferable to PVC? Surely if well fixed, they're not going to be any more prone to movement or flexing than metal boxes.
For the first 10 years of my electrical career, pvc flush boxes did, nt exist, but when they arrived I found them to be better than metal in every facet.
1)Let's start with the faceplate screws. With metal boxes there is always the possibility of "nicking" a cable due to the poor design of the "eye".

2)With metal the 1mm of insulation can end up being crushed against the metal box, causing needless faults. I have dealt with countless faults over the years that a pvc box would have avoided

3)Retreading a damaged "eye" can be problematic and laborious. With plastic you can either replace or often often simply self-tap.

4)with metal the "knock - out" opens from the outside in. Fine on a new install but unhelpful on an existing install.
With pvc you simply drill through

5)The plastic box also electrically isolates the socket/ switch from then installation infrastructure

6) no sharp edges

7) pvc s always easier to work with

8) Is it time to shut up......

For the first 10 years of my electrical career, pvc flush boxes did, nt exist, but when they arrived I found them to be better than metal in every facet.

When you first mentioned this my immediate thought was PVC surface pattresses, but once I thought about those flush boxes it seemed quite reasonable.

I have very limited experience of PVC boxes, other than one old room with rough finished walls that I wired in surface conduit, and was very impressed with the boxes over their more brittle counterparts. In fact your first point was the one that immediately struck me back then.

Regardless, I'm about to start climbing a very steep hill and will be working in whatever manner my employer requires ?

PVC box's will not allow Earth testing from the face screw, other than that I can't see any disadvantage.
True. But usually only in the case of light switches. Most other accessories (sockets, 20 amp isolators etc) can still be tested from the face screw due to the internal strap which links the faceplate screw "eye" to the earth.

I've just had a quick look at the one I have here, It has little test points at the top for L and N, the test points are shallow so shrouded probes will have no problems making contact. It also looks like the earth terminal section is a separate unit, perhaps to allow for a clean earth model? The earth strap appears to be made of brass now rather than steel of the current 2 gang sockets, earlier ones used copper or a high copper content alloy. The white part of the socket is fortunately still made of urea formaldehyde and not the soft melty plastic some MK stuff is being made of now. The switches feel ok and plugs insert the same as existing MK sockets. Looks good!
[ElectriciansForums.net] MK rapidfix, GAME CHANGER

1)Let's start with the faceplate screws. With metal boxes there is always the possibility of "nicking" a cable due to the poor design of the "eye
9) No more earth fly leads required (yippee!!)

I've just had a quick look at the one I have here, It has little test points at the top for L and N, the test points are shallow so shrouded probes will have no problems making contact. It also looks like the earth terminal section is a separate unit, perhaps to allow for a clean earth model? The earth strap appears to be made of brass now rather than steel of the current 2 gang sockets, earlier ones used copper or a high copper content alloy. The white part of the socket is fortunately still made of urea formaldehyde and not the soft melty plastic some MK stuff is being made of now. The switches feel ok and plugs insert the same as existing MK sockets. Looks good!
When used to spur off on a ring in a metal back box... that's 4 x cpc connections... only 3 wago connections available ?? Or is there capacity for the 4th one somewhere ?

When used to spur off on a ring in a metal back box... that's 4 x cpc connections... only 3 wago connections available ?? Or is there capacity for the 4th one somewhere ?
Back box is earthed through the mounting screws.
but if you really want a fly lead, you could terminate the extra cpc on the box terminal.

I was genuinely surprised to learn that they appear to be used only IN ROI. Normally NI wholesalers keep a selection of what's used in both the UK and ROI, but not in this case. Will get a link for you
someone told me that I was the missing link. felt chuffed till I googled it.

I was genuinely surprised to learn that they appear to be used only IN ROI. Normally NI wholesalers keep a selection of what's used in both the UK and ROI, but not in this case. Will get a link for you
They come in 16mm,25mm,35mm.They are also available with brackets attached to the side for fixing to studwork. CEF do them over here.Or you could go online to "electricalwholesaler.ie".
The price for a 16mm single flush box is 65 cent

Attachments

• [ElectriciansForums.net] MK rapidfix, GAME CHANGER
    IMG_20210816_165819.jpg
    204.6 KB · Views: 38
Only seen them here in installations from years ago (early 70's maybe), and they weren't great it's a general treat with caution when trying to screw the plate back on. And not aware of any wholesaler that stocks them, CEF certainly don't

[ElectriciansForums.net] MK rapidfix, GAME CHANGER

Only seen them here in installations from years ago (early 70's maybe), and they weren't great it's a general treat with caution when trying to screw the plate back on. And not aware of any wholesaler that stocks them, CEF certainly don't

View attachment 88759
CEF in ROI stock them. They told me they can be ordered in UK from other branches. As to their robustness, they are significantly more robust than a drylining box.

Is that a standard backbox or a drying box?
Apologies, they're dry liners. Never read previous convo properly the first time.

I'm fortunate enough to live somewhere where 90% of properties I deal with are stud walls/kit or service-voided so it's very rare I'll use anything other than dry-liners or surface boxes.

Reply to MK rapidfix, GAME CHANGER in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net