naked ladies!!!!! | Page 5 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss naked ladies!!!!! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

VoltzElectrical

-
Nearly Esteemed
Reaction score
no, actually, no real naked ladies, but

I done a EICR or PIR actually on an old house with apparent TT set up for earthing. 6mm earth cable coming up from the door step to the 3036 board. I disconnect the earth cable and do a Ze. Reading? - 0.11!!!!!!! Test between Live and neutral, same reading.

Can't see where connection made between neutral and earth. Any suggestions?

We has a similarly low reading from a TT recently and we definately had a rod, never did understand why as the neighbouring TT was 80 odd Ohms. As the earthing electrode is burried in concrete it may be a strip or lattice, or even the srtucture of the building? Dunno if these methods are known to give a low reading, be interesting to find out.

Just to muddy the water.....

My house (1930's semi) has a PME head 100a (but no earth actually connected).

Old Wylex board with 1 x 6mm earth connected to the mains water supply (copper and lead), so actually TT (of sorts!)

Ze..... 0.58

I will get around to it one day......

Just to muddy the water.....

My house (1930's semi) has a PME head 100a (but no earth actually connected).

Old Wylex board with 1 x 6mm earth connected to the mains water supply (copper and lead), so actually TT (of sorts!)

Ze..... 0.58

I will get around to it one day......
well...if your happy to just rely on extranious....
so what happens when the water lads start with their blue poly pipe?

make 'em leave th old lead in the ground. it is then not extraneous, but a good solid earth rod
had this carry on with an NVQ assessor a while back...
it was at a church where the new colours install was using the main water intake as its means of earthing (naughty)....so i tugged it...
anyway i made sure the water intake was still in service...if it had been redundant i would perhaps have given it a 3...
thing is i mentioned to this NVQ assessor about it and that if it could be proven that it would not be dismantled/removed in future then it was OK...such as a private borehole..
he told me it was nonsense...
yeah rite...

well...if your happy to just rely on extranious....
so what happens when the water lads start with their blue poly pipe?

Of course I agree.

All my neighbours have converted to poly already (to improve water pressure).

So for the moment I have around 40 metres of lead all to myself.

Like I said..I will get around to it one day.....''the cobblers children go barefoot'' and all that......

Of course I agree.

All my neighbours have converted to poly already (to improve water pressure).

So for the moment I have around 40 metres of lead all to myself.

Like I said..I will get around to it one day.....''the cobblers children go barefoot'' and all that......

what's your Ze of that lead earthing ?

I haven't read all of this thread but It appears to me that the TT property you are testing still has its MPB still attached. It wouldn;t surprise me that perhaps other properties have been PME'd in which case your main earth is via someone else's PME connection through the connected metallic services and your bonding.

I suppose if I had read the whole of this thread I might have discovered someone elses reply and then there would have been no point in this answer......lol

Did anybody else come up with the same answer ?

I haven't read all of this thread but It appears to me that the TT property you are testing still has its MPB still attached. It wouldn;t surprise me that perhaps other properties have been PME'd in which case your main earth is via someone else's PME connection through the connected metallic services and your bonding.

I suppose if I had read the whole of this thread I might have discovered someone elses reply and then there would have been no point in this answer......lol

Did anybody else come up with the same answer ?

Yes, and they were all WRONG because they didn't read the post properly where I stated that the main earth was definitely disconnected so no parallel paths.

I think the point that ackbarthestar was making is that even if your Ze test did only include the rod i.e. the cable was continuous along its length, that maybe a neighbouring property may have a TNS TNCS head with a good conductive path to the mass of earth. This means that your client's rod rather than using the path through the ground to the transformer tap point it is finding a parallel path external to the property.

I think the point that ackbarthestar was making is that even if your Ze test did only include the rod i.e. the cable was continuous along its length, that maybe a neighbouring property may have a TNS TNCS head with a good conductive path to the mass of earth. This means that your client's rod rather than using the path through the ground to the transformer tap point it is finding a parallel path external to the property.
Ah, that is more clearly put and a definite contender for the answer.

Sadly we will never know as the customer had it PME'd and an isolator put in.

Reply to naked ladies!!!!! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net