New build outside light | Page 4 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss New build outside light in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi, is it a requirement to run an earth wire to outside light(although its double insulated) or is it probably just best practice ? I was replacing my son,s existing outside light on a new build house with a pir security light but found there was no earth to his existing light. Thanks

I thought that "double insulated" allowed two-core flex and non-earthed chargers, etc, but the installation connection point (socket or ceiling rose, etc, including the switch) had to have the CPC present and terminated in some way (not just cut back). I did not this specifically mentioned. Any two-core installed cables I thought had to be SELV (i.e. no more than 50 volts rms - and floating w.r.t. earth).

Last edited:
Since we are debating this here is my quandry. The regs say every item of equipment and accessory should have a c.p.c. available, common sense particularly for the situation originally posted, changing class 2 fitting for class 1. Problem is if you introduce an "earth" to a double insulated enclosure, by definition it is no longer double insulated. Can anyone answer this ??

Since we are debating this here is my quandry. The regs say every item of equipment and accessory should have a c.p.c. available, common sense particularly for the situation originally posted, changing class 2 fitting for class 1. Problem is if you introduce an "earth" to a double insulated enclosure, by definition it is no longer double insulated. Can anyone answer this ??

The earth is not connected to the fitting though. It is left unterminated and insulated.

Your not introducing an Earth Mate, you are providing a cpc, incase the client. owner whoever decides to change the light fitting for a class 1 fitting, it's not connected to the fitting, it's parked in a connector, beit Wago or Chock block, It's not connected to the class 2 fitting, can't believe this has take 85 plus posts to get through to people.

Yes it's not connected, but by it being inside the fitting I believe it makes it no longer able to classed as "double insulated".

In a way the best way to do it would be cut the CPC off at the enclosure end of the cable and seal the end of the cable with tape so that just the phase and neutral emerge. For outside lights self-amalgamating tape would be best. That would provide one level of insulation and the plastic enclosure of the luminaire would provide the second level. It would be important to seal the CPC inside the end of the outer insulation of the cable in oreder to achieve the double insulation - especially with regard to water ingress. Simply cut off inside the end would not strictly provide the second level as I understand it. A separately plastic enclosed connector block would also be acceptable.
Can anyone cofirm or deny my point earlier about the difference in rules between installation wiring and external two-core flex leads to the double-insulated light/device/appliance?

In the case
Your not introducing an Earth Mate, you are providing a cpc, incase the client. owner whoever decides to change the light fitting for a class 1 fitting, it's not connected to the fitting, it's parked in a connector, beit Wago or Chock block, It's not connected to the class 2 fitting, can't believe this has take 85 plus posts to get through to people.

Nope, in the case of the Honeywell stats, they provide a terminal, although as most of its plastic, its not an issue.

[ElectriciansForums.net] New build outside light https://www.google.co.uk/imgres?img...frfAhVMSBUIHWshAfMQMwhKKAEwAQ&iact=mrc&uact=8

In a way the best way to do it would be cut the CPC off at the enclosure end of the cable and seal the end of the cable with tape so that just the phase and neutral emerge. For outside lights self-amalgamating tape would be best. That would provide one level of insulation and the plastic enclosure of the luminaire would provide the second level. It would be important to seal the CPC inside the end of the outer insulation of the cable in oreder to achieve the double insulation - especially with regard to water ingress. Simply cut off inside the end would not strictly provide the second level as I understand it. A separately plastic enclosed connector block would also be acceptable.
Can anyone cofirm or deny my point earlier about the difference in rules between installation wiring and external two-core flex leads to the double-insulated light/device/appliance?

Have to say I've done both, e.g. for extra low voltage fans. But I'm more inclined now to terminate the unused cpc inside the fitting. If the outer casing of the device was metal, I might consider not doing this.

In the case

Nope, in the case of the Honeywell stats, they provide a terminal, although as most of its plastic, its not an issue.

View attachment 47270
So you are parking the cpc in a terminal that's mostly plastic that is NOT introducing an Earth/

:sob::sleepy::sleepy::sleepy::sleepy::sleepy::sleepy::sleepy::sleepy::sleepy::sleepy:
7 pages.

Reply to New build outside light in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net