old rewireables.. | Page 4 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss old rewireables.. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Am I right in thinking that I can carry out a eicr on an old rewireable fuseboard? No install so technically I don't need RCD protection on anything...? I'd prefer to change it to a 17th edition board but customer wants to keep costs at an all time low.
Any thoughts welcome.
Chris

Sorry unless I missed it. This question I asked yesterday wasn't answered. Anyone who thinks its a code 2 please care to explain there reason of thought about this then?

Its not overnight, its 10 years between tests... things move forward

EDIT: Ohh and dont forget 10-15 years ago people were bonding crital window frames! and anything metal

Last edited by a moderator:
You cannot predict the future, you cannot idiot-proof every situation nor should we. An inspection is 'as presented' - that is CURRENT tense, not future.

There is the potential that I might burst into song at any moment - does that mean I need to dash next door and supply the neighbours with ear plugs just in case I do??

You cannot predict the future, you cannot idiot-proof every situation nor should we. An inspection is 'as presented' - that is CURRENT tense, not future.

There is the potential that I might burst into song at any moment - does that mean I need to dash next door and supply the neighbours with ear plugs just in case I do??

and in the future we may well have battery powered mowers but lets not think about that. at the moment most items and tools used outside are 230v mains electrical. where 40 years ago most things were 2 stroke petrol, and things were classed as electricaly safe..

40 years ago we didnt have electric lawn mowers, presure washers etc but we DO TODAY!! lets move with the times people, other wise we will still be lighting our rooms with coal gas... of which i bet the "gas safe" people of today dont preach well it was ok at the time!!!!!

If theres the potential of a electrical item being used outside the equipotential zone then that person needs protecting and they dont give a sh it if it was safe 40 years ago, they didnt have a electric lawn mower 40 years ago... but they do today... C2 if theres the potential of equipment being used outside.. If upstairs in a block of flats then C3.

Its your name on the cert as miss smith is found laying in the grass holding the cut flex of the lawn mower that she just cut... Cover your arse..

Hallelujah I thought I was the only one that thought this way. Phew panic over

Its not overnight, its 10 years between tests... things move forward

EDIT: Ohh and dont forget 10-15 years ago people were bonding crital window frames! and anything metal

Erm yes it did happen overnight, one day we were working to 16th edition regs which didn't say as much about RCD protecting sockets, the next day it was the all singing all dancing 17th edition.

Which also overlapped one another, so you could well have been installing to 16th edition while the spark next work did it to 17th.

Erm yes it did happen overnight, one day we were working to 16th edition regs which didn't say as much about RCD protecting sockets, the next day it was the all singing all dancing 17th edition.

Which also overlapped one another, so you could well have been installing to 16th edition while the spark next work did it to 17th.

So its now down to you to deside at what point you think somthing needs upgrading to meet modern electrical regulations and consumption, because miss smith aint got the 2 stroke petrol lawn mower anymore! that went bang 10 years ago...... rember its your name on the cert not mine! and its you that WILL be in the fireing line....

Pretty sure sockets had to be protected by rcd,s in the 16th edition regs I remember split boards

Not at first they didn't, but slowly they said outdoor skts had to be.then ground floor. Or at least something along them lines.

Still no one can say way though can they?

So its now down to you to deside at what point you think somthing needs upgrading to meet modern electrical regulations and consumption, because miss smith aint got the 2 stroke petrol lawn mower anymore! that went bang 10 years ago...... rember its your name on the cert not mine! and its you that WILL be in the fireing line....

No but this the same house that was built 50 years ago before all the mod cons came along like sky, DVDs games console. Toasters kettles microwaves. Hardly any sockets in the house but lots of 4 was adapters plugged in around the house.

Is this any different?

Im happy for any of you to deside between C2 or C3 for an electrical item that WILL be used outside protected by a BS1361, see my posts above. All I can say is when I stand up in court defending myself at the death of miss Smith as she was found mowing the lawn and my name was on the cert, Im covered. What about the rest of you?????

No but this the same house that was built 50 years ago before all the mod cons came along like sky, DVDs games console. Toasters kettles microwaves. Hardly any sockets in the house but lots of 4 was adapters plugged in around the house.

Is this any different?

BIG time yes,, I aint taking my DVD player outside and cutting the grass with it, a chalange as that may be!

Im happy for any of you to deside between C2 or C3 for an electrical item that WILL be used outside protected by a BS1361, see my posts above. All I can say is when I stand up in court defending myself at the death of miss Smith as she was found mowing the lawn and my name was on the cert, Im covered. What about the rest of you?????

you seem obsessed with the death of someone because their installation lacks a device that wasnt even in common use till the 90's , yet electrical fatalities in the home prior to this were still in small numbers.
in other words youre scaremongering without proper facts.

go ahead and issue C2's , thereby failing , every domestic install you come across that hasnt got rcd protection to virtually all groundfloor sockets......

which completely removes the leeway for each individual inspector to use his own discretion in deciding what is overall still fit for continued use.

Slightly off topic, but how many times have you heard of a spark being being prosecuted for a bad EICR or PIR where afterwards someone has been seriously injured or killed?

A Bristol property development firm has been prosecuted after a plumber was electrocuted while installing a washing machine.
Danny Edwards, 23, from Fishponds, Bristol, was killed while working on the appliance in a kitchen at Pollacks House in Percival Road, Clifton, Bristol on 19 March 2008.

During the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) prosecution of Mr Edwards’ employers Birakos Enterprises Limited, Bristol Magistrates’ Court heard the socket that powered the washing machine was wired incorrectly.

It is thought that when father-of-one Mr Edwards was working on the machine, he touched a copper water pipe and the back of the machine simultaneously, causing the massive electric shock.

Despite the kitchen’s electrics being signed off as safe by the electrical division of Birakos Enterprises Limited, it was discovered the live and earth wires had been put into the socket incorrectly, meaning the washing machine became electrically live when plugged in.

After the hearing, HSE inspector Steven Frain said:

“Danny Edwards should have been protected by his employers. Instead he was allowed to work on a machine in which a socket was obviously wired incorrectly.

“The fault should have been found during testing but this fault was left unresolved and ultimately led to the death of this young father.”

Birakos Enterprises Limited of Clifton Wood House, Clifton Wood Road, Bristol was found guilty to Regulation 4 (1) and 16 of the Control of Electricity Regulations 1989 and Section 2 (1) of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974 and was fined a total of £125,000 and ordered to pay costs of £50,000.

Nearest thing I found about someone being done for signing off work as safe when it wasn't
it seems HSE are taken electricity seriously now so it could be only a matter of time especially if its a rented property and the tenant gets a belt, blames landlord, sues him and he counter sues sparks for signing off installation with C3's.
i scared myself now, it sounds like we've turned all yank

Reply to old rewireables.. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net