Part P training . It must be stopped | Page 4 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Part P training . It must be stopped in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
As most of you are aware part p was introduced in 2005. This has lead to a huge surge in people becoming part p registered installers. This is not the issue although anyone who works on electrical installations should have "sufficient" knowledge and training as to minimise risk.

The approved appretiship does this as anyone wanting to become qualified has to obtain level 2&3 technical cert and level 3 NVQ as well as sit the AM2 test.

Currently company's are offering training to become an approved domestic installer in 5 DAYS!!
That isn't even enough time to get someone entirely used to useing the regs book never mind classified as "competent"

In the end of the day these people are taking the easy option, of which I understand but that should not come at the price of safety and the loss of work of approved electricians that have spent 3-5 years training.

Find attacked the link to a petition stop the training of these under qualified "electricians"

Petition: Scrap Part P, someone with 5 days experience is not safe to work on electrics - https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/207481/sponsors/new?token=xUnMdAVdRq7xSzVHb68h

The origins of the thread are about Part P and Domestic Installations, would you class a three phase installation by a part P qualified DI compliant.
Well, I've certainly been involved in plenty domestic 3 phase installs. Never heard of a 'part Pee qualified' DI. though. It is not a qualification, FULL STOP..... and, as such, counts for SFA.

At least the petition now has wording on it..... and 18 votes.

I would like some advice from electricians.
As an older gent I feel it's about time I retrained and i would like to be an electrician. I've seen these courses but am very dubious about how little time it takes. What would be your advise for me to become a domestic installer.I do not have any expereince,my limits are changing plugs,lights and sockets.
Thanks

I would like some advice from electricians.
As an older gent I feel it's about time I retrained and i would like to be an electrician. I've seen these courses but am very dubious about how little time it takes. What would be your advise for me to become a domestic installer.I do not have any expereince,my limits are changing plugs,lights and sockets.
Thanks

What do you class as "an older gent"?
These courses will teach you the very basics of becoming an electrician.
Do a search on here on what books you should get, to further your knowledge.

Does obtaining this ‘Part P qualfication’ allow someone to join one of the CPS schemes, if they have no other electrical qualifications?

Nope, in short. In my case (lonely sole trader), I had to verify my electrical qualifications (apprenticeship), testing & inspection & 17th edition. The 2393 I did, was a 'arrh yes, well done that man', and purely noted.

Does obtaining this ‘Part P qualfication’ allow someone to join one of the CPS schemes, if they have no other electrical qualifications?
I suppose it's what the brown envelope is filled with, as you can guess I have little to no faith in the scams, I do however realise you do need them to operate your busines.

I did one, and gave my views in #53, but I'm guessing you already know that.
You’re a qualified Electrician, as such it should be a given that your electrical work will be safe and comply with relevant standards.
I thought all this Part P malarkey was for Plumbers and other trades who might need to do minor electrical works in the normal course of their work.
That this Part P qualification, was to show that they can install a boiler spur, connect up a shower or add a few kitchen sockets, safely.

You’re a qualified Electrician, as such it should be a given that your electrical work will be safe and comply with relevant standards.
I thought all this Part P malarkey was for Plumbers and other trades who might need to do minor electrical works in the normal course of their work.
That this Part P qualification, was to show that they can install a boiler spur, connect up a shower or add a few kitchen sockets, safely.

The 2393 doesn't give any instruction or guidance on how to do these things?

Hmmm, the Poll is about discontinuing Part P training.
To my mind training non-electricians to work safely is a good idea.
However, if it’s just about training them to pass a pointless qualification, sounds more like fraud than anything else.

Hmmm, the Poll is about discontinuing Part P training.
To my mind training non-electricians to work safely is a good idea.
However, if it’s just about training them to pass a pointless qualification, sounds more like fraud than anything else.

I think we are at crossed purposes.

The Poll by the OP had mentioned 'Part P Training' packages, which I question in #2, i.e. there are no such training packages called as such, that would turn someone into a competent electrician. There are other short course training packages, that suggest you can do so. I mentioned this, as I thought it quite important that he gets his petition technically correct.

The only course I could find called a 'Part P Training' course, was similar to this;
Part P training courses for Domestic Electrical Installation - https://www.tradeskills4u.co.uk/courses/part-p-domestic-installers-course, which is or are a familiarisation of Part P Building Regs, based on C&G 2393-10, which instigated discussions on that particular course, as opposed to the poll/thread.

I believe the OP, has since altered his petition title, to remove that ambiguity, albeit the thread title remains the same, as the OP clarifies the reasons in #4.

'Confusing, isn't it, Dutchy?'

Reply to Part P training . It must be stopped in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net