Rods | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Rods in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

Phil

A little review on the cable rods.
I got a cheap or maybe not so cheap at 30 quid set from the wholesalers once and had half a day out of them. Shame the same could not be said about the fibreglass in my fingers that lasted till i got home and the missus pulled it out for me just before the infection started lol.

I have been the proud and happy owner of "cable rods" mega set. never looked back. I have managed to break 1 in 4 years or so of owning them and tbh it was through abuse that it snapped.
Customer service is brill too as i asked for a replacement tube and was more than happy to pay for it or at least the postage but they sent it foc and would not hear of charging for even the p&p.
great product followed up by great customer service.

Cable Installation Tools - Super Rod - Tools for Electricians

btw before anyone says it, I also own a very nice piece of YT1 trunking lid and a bit of YT2, both have the sexy insulation tape round and do very nicely when I need to use them, oh and a metal coat hanger too lol

I have recently bought the super rod set about 2 months ago now. Very happy with them. The ends are alittle bigger then the cheap blue sets, but hopfully the ends do not come off the super rod set like the cheap blue ones have for me.

I still usually use fish wires like when I was an apprentice many years ago.Also a mouse,piece of chain on end of a length of string.Sometimes use rods but not much.Wire has the advantage you can fish out the end and it jangles when you contact it.

I have a cheap set of rods from SF which seem OK although not too nice to handle with bare hands. And as Phil says the good old coat hanger!

If you are looking for quality cable rods the market leader is Super Rods as Phil has suggested, their nearest competitor is HellermannTyton Cable Rods these are available in broadly similar packages and accessories to the more familiar Super Rods, because they are less well known the wholesalers frequently discount their stock and a bargain can be had without compromising on quality.

If you are looking for quality cable rods the market leader is Super Rods as Phil has suggested, their nearest competitor is HellermannTyton Cable Rods these are available in broadly similar packages and accessories to the more familiar Super Rods, because they are less well known the wholesalers frequently discount their stock and a bargain can be had without compromising on quality.

They are probably the same as I believe Hellerman did a distribution deal with Super Rod some yeas back

Gotta love the super rods.

However, a few of mine have a met a timely demise as they have snapped off on the joints, which is the inevitable weak point.

Another one for the Super rod, mega kit after my flimsy cheap set all but broke. That is unless I'm using the pet hamster with his rear leg shackled to the cable to pull it through for me :)

Super rods for me too,

Mega set is great, broken a few more than Phil though!!!

Lost a run of 4 yellows with a torch bit on in a floor of an Elizabethen manor house

Super rods all the way for me too.

Having used them loads int he past, and never had any problems with them breaking. Decided to treat myself to a set of the Mega set a while. Although I now don't want to use them in case I lose one lol

Gotta love the super rods.

However, a few of mine have a met a timely demise as they have snapped off on the joints, which is the inevitable weak point.

not sure if you still have the ones that broke but they will sell you the ends so you reuse the rods. i had a coupl of mine break due to misuse :) popped a couple of new ends on and jobs good :) also the new ends swivel now as well which are quite cool

Super rods all the way for me too.

Having used them loads int he past, and never had any problems with them breaking. Decided to treat myself to a set of the Mega set a while. Although I now don't want to use them in case I lose one lol

got to be like a surgeon :) count them in and then back out :D

Super rods for me too,

Mega set is great, broken a few more than Phil though!!!

Lost a run of 4 yellows with a torch bit on in a floor of an Elizabethen manor house

I hadf some get stuck once in a pub, out came padsaw, hole in ceiling, retrieve rods, patch ceiling, no man gets left behind.

i've got a super rod set, cost about £60, and a cheapo £12 set. use the cheapos for rough work where they may get broke/lost. only use the super rods for when there's no chance of damage.

Super rods are the dogs danglies, however abit pricey. The set i got from aldi on the other hand...... are awesome and cheap, could price a set into every job i do haha.

The cheap blue ones from screwfix have just caused me too much pain, constant fibre glass splinters that are nigh on impossible to get out of your skin because they just snap and fray. Although if you get some really sharp cutters you can actually cut the ends off and reglue them on if they get damaged (so i've been told)

Reply to Rods in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net