Currently reading:
Roofing Bolts as Earthing studs

Discuss Roofing Bolts as Earthing studs in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

jim1976

Hi, all

Can anyone send me or direct me to website that as info on using roofing bolts for earthing stud ?

I work in a factory that is using the SWA for earthing (which I know is ok but with the bad glanding not so sure) and all banjo,s are held down with roofing bolts, now I worked at a power station for 2 1/2 years and this was a big no no due to the metal reacting and making bad earth connections. the boss here wont have it so need proof they need changing.

cheers

Jim

never had a problem. it's brass to steel, so what. the brass of the gland is in contact with the steel armour anyway. if the atmosphre was damp/corrosive, then that steel would corrode anyway.

and after some hairy-arsed industrial spark has sheared off a few, he'll go back to roofers, which i hate for this purpose simply because they have heads designed so as to not fit any screwdriver known to man. far better to use hex nuts and bolts.

their purpose is to connect to steel, so they're fine in that respect.

never seen them. just them with the cross slots.

ve3usu3e.jpg

I have a love/hate with this subject. I use brass for the job whenever possible, simply as it stops people from moaning, but there's a back-up box of roofers in the van for when I run out. But I have still yet to see anything to convince me that to use galvanized steel is 'wrong'. For a start, it's a heck of a lot cheaper than brass!!!

I have a love/hate with this subject. I use brass for the job whenever possible, simply as it stops people from moaning, but there's a back-up box of roofers in the van for when I run out. But I have still yet to see anything to convince me that to use galvanized steel is 'wrong'. For a start, it's a heck of a lot cheaper than brass!!!

should be using bolts instead of roofers anyway.

roofers are pressed heads, bolts are machined or whatever.

in otherwords, ive seen a lot of rooferd with the heads sheared off but 8mm bolts, never

should be using a pozi2 mate instead of a philips.

why is there so many different types anyway?

ph0,1,2,3
pz0,1,2,3
then
phg etc who carries all these bits with them honestly?

Me.
I have PZ0,1,2 and 3 in VDE drivers in my main box. Around a hundred different heads of all sorts that fit in my ratchet driver, PZ, PH, Torx, Allen, small sockets etc, and also a full set of security bits. Hardly takes up any space at all and invaluable sometimes.

I have always found the best tool for roofing bolts is your largest flat driver.

Me.
I have PZ0,1,2 and 3 in VDE drivers in my main box. Around a hundred different heads of all sorts that fit in my ratchet driver, PZ, PH, Torx, Allen, small sockets etc, and also a full set of security bits. Hardly takes up any space at all and invaluable sometimes.

I have always found the best tool for roofing bolts is your largest flat driver.

I have pz0,1,2. ph0,1,2 in vde
torx drivers as well and the usual multi bit sets a long with my trusty rachet set

Me.

Yep, everybody has a big yellow or a big red which occasionally needs a look at a grinder.

Boydy

Just out of interest, what are people using to bolt tray together with?

Reply to Roofing Bolts as Earthing studs in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back