SWA Through Wall | Page 3 | on ElectriciansForums
Guest viewing is limited

Discuss SWA Through Wall in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,

Whats the best way to take 10mm SWA through this wall?

This is one side of it, and the other is accessible as just the metal, no block work in the way, so literally a thin sheet.

I don't usually deal with commercial buildings like this, so would like a little advice on it really.

I need to fix the cable down the outside and someone has suggested a using a bit of tray, but can only use self tappers down the outside.... so cannot get any better fix than that.

[ElectriciansForums.net] SWA Through Wall[ElectriciansForums.net] SWA Through Wall

I feel I need some form of gland that will look ok and need to seal the hole up, any ideas?

use two lengths of swa, one in and one out, simple.

adaptable box either side of wall if you like.

what i dont understand is why people swap and change install methods?

you could even have a continuous piece of conduit if you like

Time to call an electrician maybe?

That's a bit rude Dave. I am more than capable, I did say at the start I do not usually deal with this type of stuff as primarily do domestic and light commercial and instead of butchering their wall would rather ask peoples advice on the best way to do it thanks.

So why does it need RCD protection?

I would just rather protect it thats all, I appreciate only 18" of it will be clipped direct above the dist board, and then straight into the basket, but me being me would rather protect it with an RCD. I suppose it would help if I didn't as then I could just use a 63A MCB which I can get.

The unit has RCBO's in it anyway protecting the outlets. I wonder if I can use two feeds into it, ill have to call them and ask.

I would just rather protect it thats all.

That's crazy talk...

In commercial and industrial situation's everything doesn't get rcd protection like you do in house...no one else would be thinking about RCD protecting a short piece of surface T+E...dont worry about it...

EDIT: I haven't read what the cable is supplying so I'm not sure of that needs additional protection.

what i dont understand is why people swap and change install methods?

Depends on the situation. Just done a detached garage supply this morning. Fished T&E in safe zone down from starbreaker insulated CU then through to adaptable box then SWA out to garage. If I had started with SWA from the CU then I could not have fished it, would have required another box below to terminate it, would have took longer and it would have looked s%$t.

That's crazy talk...

In commercial and industrial situation's everything doesn't get rcd protection like you do in house...no one else would be thinking about RCD protecting a short piece of surface T+E...dont worry about it...

EDIT: I haven't read what the cable is supplying so I'm not sure of that needs additional protection.

I just prefere to go with the side of safety I guess.

Its a 63A car charger.

I don't like this "just add RCD and it is safe" way of thinking. If the installation method requires it (by regulation), then fair enough, but otherwise defiantly not.

I didn't say "just add RCD and it is safe", I said I prefer to add it as it offers more protection basically. I am not getting into an argument about it.

Maybe it is rude, but so many questions about a simple job does raise a few questions.

If you can't get SWA through the wall neatly then find a better method, from the pictures I'd say steel conduit would be easy enough.

Personally I would avoid any joint in a brand new radial wherever possible, why add a potential point of failure in to a brand new circuit?

Reply to SWA Through Wall in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net