Three phase question | Page 4 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Three phase question in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

sajeel

-
Arms
Reaction score
Hi
Just did a three phase consumer unit, tested insulation and continuity before commission tested three phase in correct order. When I switched on it sparked and took out l1 and l2 fuse, incomer has two faulty lock screws at top apart from that any other ideas ?

Am I missing something here you need to test this properly as has been said insulation testing a TPN supply is a 10 point test

You obviously have a problem between l1 and l2 if you put power onto l1 and test l2 do you get a voltage

The fact that the fuses blow when l1and l2 are energised suggests that you are shorting 2 phased together

I would look at that poor termination of the armour it should be glanded properly even though your not relying on the armour.

Have you nicked the insulation of the cores as you have cut and terminated the armour

I would advise this isn't energised to try and find out.

I would advise this isn't energised to try and find out.

Just re read that and I didn't mean it like that if he had done the correct installation method and completed all the dead testing he would have identified the problem. What I ment to say was that there must be some sort of cross connection between phases I just didn't word it to correctly

Its crying out for a voltage tester to be put on top side of L2 L3 carriers on the ryefield to see if L1 is coming back from the DB.

Still, impressed he is happy to bang the fuses in without doing the IR, i guess eventually when he has had a few systems blow up in his face he may value the simple process of getting the tester out and prodding the install for what? 49 seconds to make sure its safe to energise but hey ho.....

Its crying out for a voltage tester to be put on top side of L2 L3 carriers on the ryefield to see if L1 is coming back from the DB.

Still, impressed he is happy to bang the fuses in without doing the IR, i guess eventually when he has had a few systems blow up in his face he may value the simple process of getting the tester out and prodding the install for what? 49 seconds to make sure its safe to energise but hey ho.....
its almost beyond words innit....lol...

http://www.electriciansforums.co.uk...e-question-uploadfromtaptalk1375661720737.jpg

Looking at the swa and as others have asked its seems you have not glanded it can you confirm this??

Had you performed the full 10point test prior to energisation you would have identified a problem.

Not doing the correct testing procedures is incompetent and can be dangerous to you or others.

If as i suspect the cable is not glanded then this is poor workmanship and in contravention of BS7671, how is the SWA earthed as it should be earthed correctly at the supply end you don't need to earth the load end when you are using a dedicated core but any competent electrician would do it as good practice.

You quickly attack those been abrupt or mocking you but you have clearly not followed testing procedure... and maybe even done below standard workmanship ... tbh you had it coming .

Might want to call the DNO about that head, it's looking a little past its use by date!
Love the Henley block labelled as an earth used for the neutral!

Can we get a pic that shows the meter in this setup? From those two pics it looks like the tails go from the head to the ryfield,

Reply to Three phase question in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net