Three phase question | Page 6 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Three phase question in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

sajeel

-
Arms
Reaction score
Hi
Just did a three phase consumer unit, tested insulation and continuity before commission tested three phase in correct order. When I switched on it sparked and took out l1 and l2 fuse, incomer has two faulty lock screws at top apart from that any other ideas ?

Might want to call the DNO about that head, it's looking a little past its use by date!
Love the Henley block labelled as an earth used for the neutral!

Can we get a pic that shows the meter in this setup? From those two pics it looks like the tails go from the head to the ryfield,

The dno uk power networks have a ticket open and will replace head within 6 weeks

Apart from above comments, I would inform the local DNO straight away to get that metal cut out changed ASAP. As flats, are you increasing the overall load of the building?

PS.. Have you checked that you actually do have 3 phases there? Stranger things have happened with those cut outs ie 2 phases and neutral, even though you have 3 x cut outs! Worth checking.

Yes I checked there is true three phase two 100a fuses and one 60a fuse on l3

OP?

[ElectriciansForums.net] Three phase question

I am alive and kicking

Leave him alone lads, it took two days to get it this wrong, it's gonna take at least a week to make it right. He'll be back, if only to boast at how it's all done and sorted.

For your information I did not spend 2 days testing for fault and it took me less than an hour to find fault if you must know. I am not proud like some members and have no reason to boast.

think he said ... faulty incomer switch shorting out internally. short of isolating at source and IR testing the switch pole to pole, no other tests would show tis up.

Hmmm! must have missed my post 59 as it raised a few good points or is the OP been selective in his replies?

Post 59 was very useful thanks. Sometimes when working late you cannot see the obvious and simple things are missed. I always leave the job and go back in with a fresh mind. That's when another opinion can see the obvious that you are missing.

Post 59 was very useful thanks. Sometimes when working late you cannot see the obvious and simple things are missed. I always leave the job and go back in with a fresh mind. That's when another opinion can see the obvious that you are missing.

I was refering to the termination of the swa it seems it hasn't been glanded and swa taped off .... this was my concern can you clarify?

It has been corrected and terminated in 25 gland.

Thanks for the reply ..... TBH its worrying it was like that to start with, can you really be surprised at some of the digs you got as that was shouting out 'cowboy' and should never have been energised without a properly terminated and earthed gland.... if you were my apprentice you would have had a full written warning for sloppy workmanship.

If you going to fasten your head in the stocks and mock the crowd expect to be bombarded with tomatoes.

[ElectriciansForums.net] Three phase question
Originally Posted by trev [ElectriciansForums.net] Three phase question
Any reason why you didn't perform the full spread of test while you were there? The problem could probably have been bottomed out by now.

I should have done but the flat where head comes is in basement and tenants only gave me access for a short while

re above: Really by todays DNO's standards you and tenants should have 24hrs access to the service cable and all meters switch fuses for sub mains etc. The reason is if any of the tenants have any problems tenants / electrician can get to all electrical equipment. Like you just experienced, tenant to basement out, so you couldn't complete your work. Glad you found problem though.

Reply to Three phase question in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net