Using terminal blocks within a CU | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Using terminal blocks within a CU in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

You done what!!! We dont use solder on mains wiring because conductors can have a high operating temperature as stated in BS7671. this can cause the solder to soften and the joint to fail. Soldering does not constitute a sound electrical and mechanical joint as per the regs.... so what professional body are you a member of?? I hope your work wasnt in a special location!!

Solder doesn't start to soften until it reaches around 183 degrees celsius, so not sure what temperatures you expect your cables to run at!

526.3 (iv) covers the use of soldered joints for MF connections.

Solder doesn't start to soften until it reaches around 183 degrees celsius, so not sure what temperatures you expect your cables to run at!

526.3 (iv) covers the use of soldered joints for MF connections.

Depending on the type of solder!! If you was carrying out an EICR how could you know? It is not a mechanically sound connection unless it is mechanically sound!
Surely you know the regs number for all joints must be electrically and mechanically sound :)
Fair if enough if you have done the joint yourself and you know that the solder has fully run around all surfaces but what is the melting point of the insulation then, its a lot less than your quoted 183 celsius, believe me I have come across a multitude of diy soldered joints that do not comply with either electrically or mechanically sound!! You need to maintain the integrity of the insulation, start heating small amounts of copper to 183 degrees and the insulation is going to be damaged very close to the joint, or just cut it back a foot or so then heat shrink it...lol
Have you tried soldering upwards from a 4mm stranded recently then, send me some pics please :)
When there are so many types of compliant connector available on the market why would you ever think of getting your soldering iron and extension lead out?? And seeing as the thread was originally about joints in a cu youd have to get your lovely gas iron out causing more risk to the surrounding plastic. Imagine how long it would take to solder enough cables even for a small 8 way..also what are you going to do before you solder the conductors to hold them together , twist them together??? Grow up, use a connector!!!:dizzy2:

Depending on the type of solder!! If you was carrying out an EICR how could you know? It is not a mechanically sound connection unless it is mechanically sound!
Surely you know the regs number for all joints must be electrically and mechanically sound :)
Fair if enough if you have done the joint yourself and you know that the solder has fully run around all surfaces but what is the melting point of the insulation then, its a lot less than your quoted 183 celsius, believe me I have come across a multitude of diy soldered joints that do not comply with either electrically or mechanically sound!! You need to maintain the integrity of the insulation, start heating small amounts of copper to 183 degrees and the insulation is going to be damaged very close to the joint, or just cut it back a foot or so then heat shrink it...lol
Have you tried soldering upwards from a 4mm stranded recently then, send me some pics please :)
When there are so many types of compliant connector available on the market why would you ever think of getting your soldering iron and extension lead out?? And seeing as the thread was originally about joints in a cu youd have to get your lovely gas iron out causing more risk to the surrounding plastic. Imagine how long it would take to solder enough cables even for a small 8 way..also what are you going to do before you solder the conductors to hold them together , twist them together??? Grow up, use a connector!!!:dizzy2:

Oh dear...where to begin....
Solder has been used for many decades in mains wiring and that's a fact. At no point did I say that I would personally solder cables within a CU, just that it's an option if you want to go down that route.
As for "growing up".... I think after being in the profession for over 20 years, most of it industrial, I've done most of my growing up, and seen most things.
Anyway, we weren't talking about carrying out an EICR and therefore not knowing what type of solder was used, we were discussing ways of extending cables ourselves. Just for the record, it is possible to solder cable without having to heatshrink "a foot or so".
I would respectfully suggest that as a new member, you don't assume too much when making statements. Have a good day :)

Ah but his post said I iwas like..are you for real"

Nah his quote said "i was like solder with 2A rating are you for real"

This is why we have so many interpretations of the regs :) Even the living language is back to front and upside down and that's before we get to punctuation :)

Just thinking wicked is now good a hot rod is now cool and even screws that are loose can be tightened both up and down and application forms can be filled in or out these days.

Reply to Using terminal blocks within a CU in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net