Words from the Inspectors Mouth about Wago! | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Words from the Inspectors Mouth about Wago! in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

DurhamSparky

the Inspector from Elecsa/ECA talked to me about wago connectors and he was all for them!

i asked the question about plastering them into a wall and his advice was YES they are designed for that and as long as they are protected in an enclosure like a chocbox or similar they can be treated in same way as crimped connections as the effect of moisture from the plaster and also the aggressive nature of the plater may cause damage to the connections!

he also said that due to the design nature of the wago they need not be enclosed in an enclosure if say placed in a loft area or a partion wall providing they have been terminated correctly and pushed fully home with no copper on show as per manufactures instructions!

hmmmm... food for thought

hi guys where can i get these cheapest

which ones are most commonly used as i see they do a pack which different ones in

are they expensive and do they pay for themselves in the time in saves on installations.

cheers jon

I doubt very much, that ANY official body would encourage building cable connections that are not enclosed in a suitable made for purpose enclosure!!

Absolutely amazes me, that any electrician would think, let alone accept that building cable connections DON'T need an acceptable enclosure.

If this is the case, then god help the rest of the good working practices in the UK!!! The slippery path will turn into a downhill ski race slope.

NIC assessment last week the inspector agreed that in theory a wago did not need to be enclosed although in most cases the cores will not be double insulated going into the wago. Therefore in most cases they will need to be enclosed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

i asked the question about plastering them into a wall and his advice was YES they are designed for that and as long as they are protected in an enclosure like a chocbox or similar they can be treated in same way as crimped connections as the effect of moisture from the plaster and also the aggressive nature of the plater may cause damage to the connections!
Does this imply that heat shrink (double insulating) around crimps is not enough? I was thinking about the post this week where the electrician had to move a switch, had a concrete celing so had to crimp in the 150mm safe zone at the top of the wall and make good.
Regards, David

i find that very strange, I dont use them but do you not need the cable to be clamped. I would have thought this is one inspectors opinion. When I was with Elecsa he asked me how I had done my connections for LV trannies, in J501 junction boxes, he had never heard of them and assumed that we were all still using round boxes. He was trying to catch me out using connector blocks above the ceiling

If this is the case, then god help the rest of the good working practices in the UK!!! The slippery path will turn into a downhill ski race slope.

Purposely engineered to water down the industry, gone are the days of good solid engineers who were sent out to assess future members.

Rarely does anyone who applies, fail to meet the criteria and all the work is wonderful, don't care anymore fella. Labour started it and this lot will continue it lol

To the naysayers - do you actually know what a wago is? Have you used them? I'm telling you, if you put a thin cable into one, lets say 1.5mm twin, and try and pull them apart, I'd put money on it that the cable would snap before the wago failed.

Personally I like to have them in enclosures, but in a loft or under a floor I wouldn't worry if I found one in shrink wrap or tape.

I've been using these for the last 6years , but before we stated I did ask NIC technical , he couldnt answer staight away but phoned me two days later saying they were perectly acceptable but suggested we used a choc box with cable grips

I use them a lot but would never consider using them outside of some sort of enclosure, legal or not for strain relief and insulation reasons. They are great as long as you don't try to do too much in one Wago box. The DIN rail mounted holders in a bigger enclosure are good when things get complicated. I used them for a NIC assessment job but got no comments on them.

i given the choice would rather see a wago or hellacon than a jointbox or block. the connection the hellas or the wagos give to the cable is far superior they do of course need to be enclosed in whatever enclosure is needed for the location. i will say this thoguh after the amount of blocks i have seen un protected in ceilings and various other places and also the crimped cables that have failed due to not being done properly i would rather see the wagos

Exactly... it's pretty difficult to screw up a wago connection!

When I'm saying wagos, I actually use helacons most of the time, and keep a small amount of Wagos for larger cables. I'm going to have a crack at the wago 'lighting' style connectors after chatting with Durham the other day, though.....

Reply to Words from the Inspectors Mouth about Wago! in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net