63 Amp Isolator | Page 5 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss 63 Amp Isolator in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I'm running a 63A supply for a cooker and need to have a local isolator.
Apart from having a 63A main switch in a small enclosure, is there any thing else I could use which is discreet to put in the back of a cupboard.

Thanks

Because no one would have it. People continually trying to prove me wrong. Caught hook, line and sinker you might say but at the end of the day my first response was correct and if I'm honest, I rather enjoyed watching people trying and failing to find regulations to show me up :D

Nowt wrong with a bit of controversy!

That's half the problem these day's, most here seem to think that BS7671 and it's OSG's etc will always come up with a definitive answer to any query you can throw-up!! lol!!

Hmmm, controversy or trolling? You say tomato I say tomaato :)

Now now, it can't be considered trolling if I'm quoting regs can it. I'm not being difficult for the sake of being difficult am I? I'm merely stating a perfectly correct point. Whether or not you agree with the regs (or at least this particular section) is up to you.

That's half the problem these day's, most here seem to think that BS7671 and it's OSG's etc will always come up with a definitive answer to any query you can throw-up!! lol!!

Most of the time the BGB will! Sometimes it leaves a little to the imagination too though I agree! Still, regs are regs, love 'em or hate 'em, they're all we are obliged to work to (discounting ESQCRs EAWRs ect...) as best practice guides are merely one man's opinion to another.

Morning I mention induction because someone seemed surprised by the size so was explaining why there so big.
I am installing 10mm so that she can have what ever cooker she wants (takes ages for her to make her mind up) therefore going through a 63A isolator and the mcb be will be any thing between 32A to 63A. Covering all bases.
I agree that it will never pull total load so diversity isn't a problem, to get to total load you would have to have everything on full whack and god knows what you'd be cooking for that.
I've enjoyed this thread very interesting but know one every answer the original question.

Morning I mention induction because someone seemed surprised by the size so was explaining why there so big.
I am installing 10mm so that she can have what ever cooker she wants (takes ages for her to make her mind up) therefore going through a 63A isolator and the mcb be will be any thing between 32A to 63A. Covering all bases.
I agree that it will never pull total load so diversity isn't a problem, to get to total load you would have to have everything on full whack and god knows what you'd be cooking for that.
I've enjoyed this thread very interesting but know one every answer the original question.

You're having a laugh now, .....Aren't you??

CU the other side of the wall cable length minimal no thermal insulation run inside plastic conduit into CU 10mm will cover 63A

It's NEVER going to see 63A!!!! You're talking about a cooker load, that is just 2 KW over and above, that can safely be supplied by a 6mm cable on a 32A MCB/RCBO!! ....So you have just got to be having a laugh with us, if to cater for that extra 2KW you're going to ditch the 45A CCU for a 63A isolator, that is going to be one hell of an ugly so and so, for a domestic kitchen.
Just wait until your customer see's the size of it!! lol!!

It's NEVER going to see 63A!!!! You're talking about a cooker load, that is just 2 KW over and above, that can safely be supplied by a 6mm cable on a 32A MCB/RCBO!! ....So you have just got to be having a laugh with us, if to cater for that extra 2KW you're going to ditch the 45A CCU for a 63A isolator, that is going to be one hell of an ugly so and so, for a domestic kitchen.
Just wait until your customer see's the size of it!! lol!!

Thats why I sad about using a main switch as the local isolator in the cupboard the enclosure is about 125mm high by 75mm. As she's never going to see it I don't think she will be bothered.
as for the 10mm I am covering my arse just in case she turns up with the monster 17kw jobby.

As for the emergency stop button I have found a nice polished chrome one so I think that will work quite well. :smilielol5:

That's right they induce the heat into the cooking utensil/pan, not the surrounding glass or element. These hobs are so fast, that they can cook a fried egg to perfection before a conventional halogen hob has even started to turn the egg white, White!! They do hit max quite often, but are still subject to thermostatic control. Just everything happens that much faster!! lol!!

I'd never swop back to a gas hob now. Never had an electric hob, they were and still are totally uncontrollable, and remain hot enough to burn you for a good hour or so, after you have finished cooking. ...total waste of energy!!

Cheers cock, I thought so.
I've seen a picture of half a frying pan on an indy hob with an egg cracked on it, the bit on the pan is cooked and the bit on the hob itself is still raw. Excellent! I'll be definitely be getting one on the next kitchen upgrade.

Thats why I sad about using a main switch as the local isolator in the cupboard the enclosure is about 125mm high by 75mm. As she's never going to see it I don't think she will be bothered.
as for the 10mm I am covering my arse just in case she turns up with the monster 17kw jobby.

As for the emergency stop button I have found a nice polished chrome one so I think that will work quite well. :smilielol5:

God help your customer is all i can say!! You haven't got a bloody clue what you're doing!!

Cheers cock, I thought so.
I've seen a picture of half a frying pan on an indy hob with an egg cracked on it, the bit on the pan is cooked and the bit on the hob itself is still raw. Excellent! I'll be definitely be getting one on the next kitchen upgrade.

The other great thing about these hob's, is that the glass surfaces don't get hot, so no burnt on spills or splashes, just a quick wipe and it's all clean again...lol!!

I saw one at some super energy saving house once, the geezer has open days to try and promote his business, which had these pop up sensors that monitor the temp of the pan. So, for example, a pan of milk would never boil over.
I'm amazed they seem to be quite rare, they were invented centuries ago! (slight exaggeration :) )

10mm2 cable, 40 amp supply simples, 45 amp double pole isolator and Job done, Regs can be quoted all day regarding isolation and methods, all a load of rollocks, I have been doing this for donkey's years and never ever had any come backs, a 17kw range is the norm these days and you will find the manufacturer will recommend what I have suggested

Reply to 63 Amp Isolator in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net