Automatic cow brush motor connections ? | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Automatic cow brush motor connections ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

JD6400

-
Mentor
Arms
Reaction score
Hi , i went out to a automatic cow brush that had melted its 1ph motor the other day and after stripping the unit off the wall , due to the size of it we decided that the client would take it in to a re winders local to him as i by the time i had gone back to the yard to fetch one of our plant trailers and took it and fetched it back from our usual ones it would have been around a 140 or so mile round trip .

The trouble is that the ones he used , did the usual favourite trick that most re winders seem to like doing of removing any trace of how to re connect it !
Normally i either know how anyway or we mark and photograph the old one prior to removing , but as it was sent as a whole unit ( brush and frame ) i had expected that they would have had the courtesy to have just reconnected the wires into the new motor they have fitted and not just chop the cable instead !

The unit has a small pcb that has a 1ph feed in , a feed out and return for a micro switch that sensors when the cow wants to use it and then the feed out via 4 conductors to the single phase motor ?

This one has me stumped and as we do not deal with the re winders he used , we are getting the old " Your electrician should know this ! " , any ideas appreciated !

It is a 1ph electric cow brush made by Agricow

Hopefully the pictures tell more of the story !?

Hopefully they are now attached !?

Attachments

• [ElectriciansForums.net] Automatic cow brush motor connections ?
    454.jpg
    232.7 KB · Views: 115
  • [ElectriciansForums.net] Automatic cow brush motor connections ?
    455.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 110
Hi jimsparky , it is the motor connections that have me stumped .
My knowledge of 1ph motors is not so good and i do not want to bugger the pcb up as it would be a right pain in the arse to replace , also those drawings are for a newer version of the pcb , but are all i can find .

I know it will no doubt be an obvious fix , but i can not see the wood for the trees on this one !:nonod:

Edit ; Also if you look at the supply connections on the drawing they have the phase and earthing the wrong way around , which also makes me a bit nervous about just connecting up the motor the way i think it should be as per the drawings .

Last edited:
Can you get the motor on a bench ? I had a single phase vent motor out of a large glasshouse a few months ago. Exactly the same scenario with the rewinders. Caused me an awful lot of problems.
If you look at the drawings one of the windings is in series with the capacitor - u1 and z1 (term 4 and 7 ??)
Then the other winding is 5 and 6 ? Would be worth checking out the continuity of the windings first.

I can get to it to bell it out but that is all .
I am thinking that i need to remove the solid bridge links between u1 and the capacitor and also between z2 and u2 then justs connect up as per the drawing , but wanted some reassurance first .:38:

Ok...Try this..

Remove both bridges, you do not need them on this.

Terminal 4 (control board) connects to U1 (Blue feed to Cap)
Terminal 7 (control board) connects to W2 (Z2 core)
Terminal 5 (control board) connects to U1
Terminal 6 (Control board) connects to U2

The control board should then do it's thing as before.

Reply to Automatic cow brush motor connections ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net