cutting meter tags oops | Page 3 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss cutting meter tags oops in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

sparky-s-w

Hi,

i realise the ilegality of cutting the security tags on meters/fuses etc, and dont expect people to identify themselves as offenders, so Hypothetically
is it practical to call/arrange for the relevent energy supplier to come out every time you change a fuse board/upgrade meter tails?

i have a friend :wink_smile: who has in the past possably cut meter tags in order to change the meter tails, as I (i mean he) didnt have time to mess around contacting suppliers.
do most other contractors do this?, i cant imagine every single electrician would get these tags propperly removed every time. Hypothetically.

I've always found the pikeys have been round and nicked the lead from the seals before I get there.

I have a friend who has a friend, who cuts through the tails (one at a time of course) with a pair of shears. Strips the end of the tails with said insulated shears and terminates them straight into a twin Henly block. He says it takes 5 minutes and then he can carry on with the cu change and connect his nice new 25mm tails into the block when he's finished. All ready for the supplier to connect into the meter on the next visit if they can be bothered.
He is also wearing a massive tin helmet.

Although i'm not adverse to working live when needs must , i wouldnt risk it on a possible 100A supply just to avoid cutting a seal , the risk isnt worth the gain.

I have a friend who has a friend, who cuts through the tails (one at a time of course) with a pair of shears. Strips the end of the tails with said insulated shears and terminates them straight into a twin Henly block. He says it takes 5 minutes and then he can carry on with the cu change and connect his nice new 25mm tails into the block when he's finished. All ready for the supplier to connect into the meter on the next visit if they can be bothered.
He is also wearing a massive tin helmet.

Whoever your "friend" is, he's a man after my own heart !!

Ok heres a different view why cant you log on to their site and register that you are going to change the DB on a certain date and they send you a temporay or perminant plastic coded seal now you get to break the seal then when finished put the coded seal on then they if they want can do a spot check but the thing is they are missing is they have the customers consumption
so their sytem would spot a sudden drop in consumption.

Naa but then again who needs common sense when you can complicate it because you are trying to do your job mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Around here (SSE) we are issued with temporary seals. We can cut the seal, remove fuse and reseal afterwards with temporary seal. In theory the proceedure is you notify SSE before hand, in practice when you do ... they just tell you to do it and call them once you're done. They will want details of the customer (to arrange to come and reseal) and your scheme membership details.

As it happens, I drove up to the SSE depot near Farnham today to collect seals. I'd not been before, but they were very relaxed about it and helpful. They took a photocopy of my ELECSA card and gave me 20 plastic self-adhesive labels, serial numbered. The lady said to e-mail her with the date and address whenever I have used one on a cutout and they would come along later to put their seals on.

I enquired whether I could use them on meter terminals as well. After checking with someone else in the office, the answer was yes, they'ed come out and seal the meter teminals at the same time as the cutout.

I just wish the other DNOs had the same enlightened attitude.

As it happens, I drove up to the SSE depot near Farnham today to collect seals. I'd not been before, but they were very relaxed about it and helpful. They took a photocopy of my ELECSA card and gave me 20 plastic self-adhesive labels, serial numbered. The lady said to e-mail her with the date and address whenever I have used one on a cutout and they would come along later to put their seals on.

I enquired whether I could use them on meter terminals as well. After checking with someone else in the office, the answer was yes, they'ed come out and seal the meter teminals at the same time as the cutout.

Yes, the SSE system is brilliant, there is never any hassle and it seems to work very well, for both sides judging by the feedback from SSE. It's just a shame the other DNOs and MOCOPA signatories are resistant to introducing it more widely.

Ok heres a different view why cant you log on to their site and register that you are going to change the DB on a certain date and they send you a temporay or perminant plastic coded seal now you get to break the seal then when finished put the coded seal on then they if they want can do a spot check but the thing is they are missing is they have the customers consumption
so their sytem would spot a sudden drop in consumption.

Naa but then again who needs common sense when you can complicate it because you are trying to do your job mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I think it is about time something like this actually happened. The "rules" are a farce at the moment.

Would you speak to Elecsa mate and see if they can push for this with the clout they must surely have :)

Reply to cutting meter tags oops in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back