cutting meter tags oops | Page 4 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss cutting meter tags oops in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

sparky-s-w

Hi,

i realise the ilegality of cutting the security tags on meters/fuses etc, and dont expect people to identify themselves as offenders, so Hypothetically
is it practical to call/arrange for the relevent energy supplier to come out every time you change a fuse board/upgrade meter tails?

i have a friend :wink_smile: who has in the past possably cut meter tags in order to change the meter tails, as I (i mean he) didnt have time to mess around contacting suppliers.
do most other contractors do this?, i cant imagine every single electrician would get these tags propperly removed every time. Hypothetically.

I've just spent the day in college having it beaten into my head that pulling DNO fuses have additional dangers (eg fuse carrier falling to pieces, old heads with asbestos lining etc) so not feeling too great about doing it myself, but it doesn't seem like there's much alternative most of the time...

Seems stupid that Mr DIY can try to box in his fuseboard and stick his drill through the meter tail sheath, but then have no way of turning off the installation, other than potentially risking his life by pulling the DNO fuse from the knackered 1950s service head...

I've just spent the day in college having it beaten into my head that pulling DNO fuses have additional dangers (eg fuse carrier falling to pieces, old heads with asbestos lining etc) so not feeling too great about doing it myself, but it doesn't seem like there's much alternative most of the time...

Seems stupid that Mr DIY can try to box in his fuseboard and stick his drill through the meter tail sheath, but then have no way of turning off the installation, other than potentially risking his life by pulling the DNO fuse from the knackered 1950s service head...

Makes you wonder how us industrial sparkies ever got anything done....

You make a common sense decision. If it’s an old head leave it alone. I’ve removed 50+ year old porcelain fuses many times and never had one fail. I’ve found them cracked, at which point you find another way. Modern heads will usually be no problem.

You make a common sense decision. If it’s an old head leave it alone. I’ve removed 50+ year old porcelain fuses many times and never had one fail. I’ve found them cracked, at which point you find another way. Modern heads will usually be no problem.

Totally agree. I would say that experience helps here but I know that some "qualified" electricians don't have any.

To sort this problem I have just got the supplier to fit an isolation switch. Just done this 10 mins ago supplier British Gas booked over phone £31.42. In future when I need to isolate I will check this at the quote stage and if no isolator recommend one and get the customer to get one before I start.

I've often wondered how often in a domestic situation there is a need to isolate an entire installation before the CU. I bet manufacturers of isolating switches are loving this new business.

15 years ago I bet the percentage of domestic installations with an upfront before CU sited isolating switch would be less than 2-3% and I bet within the next 15 years it will be nearer 15%.

I think the 17th edition and the extensive use of RCDs for additional protection as birthed a whole new sub industry

To sort this problem I have just got the supplier to fit an isolation switch. Just done this 10 mins ago supplier British Gas booked over phone £31.42. In future when I need to isolate I will check this at the quote stage and if no isolator recommend one and get the customer to get one before I start.

BG make their own house rules hidden behind the Gas Regulations.

Back to the generalities
Breaking seals and removing service cut-outs is 'illegal' according to somebody's regulations and should be dealt with severely, and if not prosecuted should be Keel-hauled and thrashed for the impertinence of theoretically endangering someone unknown's life---- so some say ! , I think its a little harsh myself ...

50 years ago great nobody can tamper with the main fuse and meter now because most of the CUs in this country need upgraded a well there is your catch 22 thing is when they upgrade the meter they should fit the main switch at the same time problem solved Naa on second thoughts thats too easy

50 years ago great nobody can tamper with the main fuse and meter now because most of the CUs in this country need upgraded a well there is your catch 22 thing is when they upgrade the meter they should fit the main switch at the same time problem solved Naa on second thoughts thats too easy

Makes much more sense for them to wait for someone else to pay for it, it would seem.

If you are careful you can snip the seal and when finished, put it back so that it looks untouched......... so I have been told.

Most tails i havent changed have either been undersized,Vulcanised rubber,like a washing line or 5' too long.....in my dreams of course.
And and in the "safe isolation of supply" senario....where they dont actually provide a method to isolated the CU completely with out removing the fuse...

Look lads 'n' lasses .. if they don't want us chopping their seals & pulling their fuses, then it's time they paid a bit less to their directors & shareholders & spent a bit more in providing isolators at all of their customer' properties.

(Geordie... not so much a language - more a way of life)

Reply to cutting meter tags oops in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back