cutting meter tags oops | Page 5 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss cutting meter tags oops in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

sparky-s-w

Hi,

i realise the ilegality of cutting the security tags on meters/fuses etc, and dont expect people to identify themselves as offenders, so Hypothetically
is it practical to call/arrange for the relevent energy supplier to come out every time you change a fuse board/upgrade meter tails?

i have a friend :wink_smile: who has in the past possably cut meter tags in order to change the meter tails, as I (i mean he) didnt have time to mess around contacting suppliers.
do most other contractors do this?, i cant imagine every single electrician would get these tags propperly removed every time. Hypothetically.

Have always found the energy suppliers pretty quick, especially now as they are using it to install smart meters at the same time as putting in an Isolater. We either do things by the regs or we dont, I do, maximum i have known a customer get charged for an Isolation switch is £25, though some do it for free.
If we all worked to the regs, eventually all houses should end up with an isolater between meter & CU, making it easier for all of us in the long run

or they could be a bit more pro-active and start putting them in as a matter of course. My meter was changed at home about 2 years ago, guess what? no isolator.. The fact is they would rather someone else pay £25 for them.

Went to look at a CU change today and informed the customer that I would arrange to get an isolator fitted, as I like to keep everything nice and legal. I have dealt with Eon several times and they always do a great job free of charge. Anyway, it turned out she was with BG, not Eon, and they have charged £31 + VAT for the isolator. I did say don't bother, just come and pop the fuse AM and reconnect PM, but apparently that would entail two lots of charges!
This is what happens when you play by the rules.

Interesting. I thought the company switch belongs to the DNO but the meter belongs to the current supplier. If you cut the meter tags it is the supplier who should be interested. So if you have to disconnect the supply at the company switch, who do you call supplier or DNO. If you need to lengthen the meter tails I think you should call the supplier not the DNO.

Any thoughts?
Mike

Reply to cutting meter tags oops in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back