Earthing Arrangements Explained + Photo's | Page 8 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Earthing Arrangements Explained + Photo's in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Paul.M

-
Esteemed
Supporter
Reaction score
This is for the people still in or has just left their electrical education or for those of us that need a refresher in domestic earthing arrangements. It's all very well looking at prity diagrams in college and in books but its different when your out in the field for the first time. Hope this thread helps you and I hope that other members will post up their pictures of main incomers/earthing so others can learn and understand this subject better. I wish I could refer to something like this when I was in college.

First of all we have 3 types of earthing arrangements, TN-S, TN-C-S and TT.

TN-C-S
[ElectriciansForums.net] Earthing Arrangements Explained + Photo's

This is where the main earth cable from the main earth terminal (met) is connected to the neutral at the suppliers main fuse. A good way to remember the name of this arrangement is to think of the C meaning COMBINED.

TN-S

This is where the main earth cable from the met is clamped or solderd to the steel of the SWA or the led outer sheath of the incoming supply cable. Again a good way to remember this is to think that the S stands for SHEATH.

TT

The main earth cable from the met is connect to an earth electrode (aka earth rod). This is because not all properties are supplied with a TN system by the supplier so we have to insert a rod into the ground.

Notice how the earth cable on the TN systems go back to the main incomer, one goes to the main fuse (TN-C-S) and the other goes to the incoming cable (TN-S). If the main earth cable doesn't go back to the fuse or incoming cable it will be a TT. This is the simplest way I can put it without going into extended detail.

Now that we've seen some prity diagrams (am I starting to sound like a teacher lol) we will now look at real world photos that are not as straight forward as the diagrams.

First example, is it a TN-S or a TN-C-S or both?

Last edited:
If you have a neutral connected to an installations earth terminal (eg PME/TNC-S) then the incoming supply cables metallic sheath connection must be disconnected. Especially important where a supply cable is suppling both TN-S and TNC-S earthing arrangements!! eg, ....where the DNO cable is in the process of being PME'd....
Well Dan,on your recommendation ,I decided to read this thread (all 12 pages of it). Very interesting.Feels a lot older than 10 years.It also raised a question for me ,based on the comment above from "Engineer54". He suggests that the metallic sheath of a TNS cable must be electrically isolated as soon as the TNS supply is converted to TNCS.Why does this have to be done?

Reply to Earthing Arrangements Explained + Photo's in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net