Moving A Socket A Few Feet | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Moving A Socket A Few Feet in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

N

NickD

Client wants (indoor, domestic) socket moved a matter of a few feet, assuming cable is not to be buried in wall, would you say for regs compliance socket must be RCD protected? I know the answer is liable to be yes because it's adding a new socket and decommissioning the old, but just wanted to pick some more experienced brains. I'm aware if the cable isn't buried I could just install a socket with integral RCD if the client is willing. Realistically they may go for the cowboy installer who'll just move the socket and not even worry about RCDs. :sad:

oye Nick..

stop attention seeking with sillyness like this....just shift the chuffing thing to where you want it.....

its not an addition or new install is it for christs sake...use your initiative lad...

if you feel they may be using it for outdoor equipment then replace the front with an RCD outlet.....

bloody nora...

How is it attention seeking? It's a question which was asked in a fair way and has already had different answers given by members on here. Daz

So easiest way would be use an RCD socket. But think about it like this. They now have 15/20 sockets with no rcd protection and one with! Haha you should tell them to plug anything in THAT socket if they plan on getting a belt at any time in the future. I'm with D skelton. Common sense/type of punter.

So easiest way would be use an RCD socket. But think about it like this. They now have 15/20 sockets with no rcd protection and one with! Haha you should tell them to plug anything in THAT socket if they plan on getting a belt at any time in the future. I'm with D skelton. Common sense/type of punter.
No sorry I don't agree with that at all

read post 13, By adding a RCD socket you are still not protecting the cable you install, doing it the way Tel mentioned you protect the cable and new socket, the best suggestion in this thread by far and the right one IMHO.

I did a similar job a while back. Customer 90 year old, old dear, wanted another twin socket next to the existing twin socket behind the telly so she didn't have to use adaptors. Wylex rewireable board, did the essential tests, and duly fitted her a new twin socket. I ask myself this, is it safer now without RCD's or was it safer before using adaptors and extension leads?

I sleep well, knowing that i did a safe non compliant job, and if i hadn't have done it, then someone else in the pub would. You are competent enough to risk assess it, and get the job done. No one will ever get prosecuted for doing the right thing for the right reason.

Remember the regs are guidance only, and must be complied with as far as is Reasonably Practical, and not regardless of cost and inconvenience.

Cheers.............Howard

PS I await the regs brigade onslaught!

I did a similar job a while back. Customer 90 year old, old dear, wanted another twin socket next to the existing twin socket behind the telly so she didn't have to use adaptors. Wylex rewireable board, did the essential tests, and duly fitted her a new twin socket. I ask myself this, is it safer now without RCD's or was it safer before using adaptors and extension leads?

I sleep well, knowing that i did a safe non compliant job, and if i hadn't have done it, then someone else in the pub would. You are competent enough to risk assess it, and get the job done. No one will ever get prosecuted for doing the right thing for the right reason.

Remember the regs are guidance only, and must be complied with as far as is Reasonably Practical, and not regardless of cost and inconvenience.

Cheers.............Howard

PS I await the regs brigade onslaught!
No onslaught by me Howard, I fully understand your point and Damiens and never said there was a problem. I still think though Tels suggestion was the right way and I would do the job the way he suggested myself, It would still be a fairly cheap quick job and it would be a good job.

I am all for the common sense approach, but in the world we live of litigation, I would not install sockets without rcd protection, it's all about covering one's ---!!. On that note I am sooo glad am away from domestic and contracting full stop.!!!

This afternoon I looked a job to move a 13A DSSO socket only 120mm (out from a brick wall onto a new stud wall just in front of it). Cable extensions probably required. No RCDs on any final circuits.

Reply to Moving A Socket A Few Feet in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Recommended Sponsor News

Exclusive Forum Offer! Free euro 2024 wall chart for first 10 responses!

Hi everyone,

We have 10 exclusive Uheat EURO 2024 Wallcharts to giveaway for Electricians Forum Members! The first 10 people to reply YES to this thread - I will message and get them sent out to you just in time for this years tournament! GO GO GO

Quickwire Now Sponsor ElectriciansForums.net

I am sure you will join me in welcoming our newest sponsors of ElectriciansForums.net - Quickwire! They have decided to join us after seeing you guys discussing their products here. Now we have an expert on board that you can chat to @Quickwire-Sam who will be happy to answer your queries!

[ElectriciansForums.net] Quickwire Now Sponsor ElectriciansForums.net

@Quickwire-Sam said "At Quickwire, we're all about speed, safety, and reliability. We're a family-run business, and every Quickwire connector is proudly made right here in the UK, ensuring noticeable quality. In short, Quickwire is the fastest connection method on the market. Whether you're an experienced electrician or a DIY enthusiast, Quickwire makes electrical connections ridiculously quick and easy. We're passionate about blending British craftsmanship with innovation. If you have any questions or if there's any way we can help, please just ask me!"

PCBWay Now Sponsor ElectriciansForums.net!!

I hope you will all join me in welcoming our newest sponsor to the forum PCBWay! You can contact their friendly people by sending a message to @PCBWay who will be happy to answer your queries.

Welcome to the community and thanks for your sponsorship!

[ElectriciansForums.net] PCBWay Now Sponsor ElectriciansForums.net!!

PCBWay provides services including PCB Prototype and batch Production, PCB Assembly (SMT), 3D Printing, CNC Machining, PCB Design, Electronics Modules Selling, etc. We are committed to meeting the needs of global makers from different industries in terms of quality, delivery, cost-effectiveness, and any other demanding requests in electronics.

[ElectriciansForums.net] PCBWay Now Sponsor ElectriciansForums.net!!

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back