Moving A Socket A Few Feet | Page 3 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Moving A Socket A Few Feet in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

N

NickD

Client wants (indoor, domestic) socket moved a matter of a few feet, assuming cable is not to be buried in wall, would you say for regs compliance socket must be RCD protected? I know the answer is liable to be yes because it's adding a new socket and decommissioning the old, but just wanted to pick some more experienced brains. I'm aware if the cable isn't buried I could just install a socket with integral RCD if the client is willing. Realistically they may go for the cowboy installer who'll just move the socket and not even worry about RCDs. :sad:

stop attention seeking with sillyness like this

Oh, that's what I was doing is it? Sorry, I didn't realise. I thought I was learning.

its not an addition...is it for christs sake

What has the three foot of 2.5+1.5 T&E between the old position and the socket been then, if not added? I'm aware this is a very by-the-book approach to the regs but that's the way I roll. Look at it this way: install new socket without RCD protection, document it, client electrocutes themselves from it. The worry in addition to any criminal charge is whether the relatives launch a large civil claim for damages. Your PL / PI insurer will probably refuse to cover you because you have operated outside the rules you are meant to operate within. You are now ****ed.

So my inclination, based on the useful posts from others, is that I would push the client towards RCD protected socket (or if original socket postion wasn't getting blocked off, RCD FCU), although being honest about the fact I needed to do so to cover myself (let's face it, what does one RCD protected socket add, unless you sell the benefits for outdoor equipment etc.). Whether I would at a push do it non RCD protected for cash with no paperwork, I offer no comment!

- - - Updated - - -

Ditto. Similar problem, in my job the original socket will be behind a plaster board wall.

Which means you can't use screwed terminals or anything else which must have maintenance access.

Oh, that's what I was doing is it? Sorry, I didn't realise. I thought I was learning.

What has the three foot of 2.5+1.5 T&E between the old position and the socket been then, if not added? I'm aware this is a very by-the-book approach to the regs but that's the way I roll. Look at it this way: install new socket without RCD protection, document it, client electrocutes themselves from it. The worry in addition to any criminal charge is whether the relatives launch a large civil claim for damages. Your PL / PI insurer will probably refuse to cover you because you have operated outside the rules you are meant to operate within. You are now ****ed.

So my inclination, based on the useful posts from others, is that I would push the client towards RCD protected socket (or if original socket postion wasn't getting blocked off, RCD FCU), although being honest about the fact I needed to do so to cover myself (let's face it, what does one RCD protected socket add, unless you sell the benefits for outdoor equipment etc.). Whether I would at a push do it non RCD protected for cash with no paperwork, I offer no comment!

- - - Updated - - -

Which means you can't use screwed terminals or anything else which must have maintenance access.
well you crack on then kid....you knows what your doing...

after having a browse in here that is....

RCD or No RCD Protection, I present you Exhibit 1 (from the MWC):

PART 4 Declaration
I/We CERTIFY that the said works do not impair the safety of the existing installation, that the said works have been
designed, constructed, inspected and tested in accordance with BS 7671:2008 (IET Wiring Regulations), amended to
................. (date) and that the said works, to the best of my/our knowledge and belief, at the time of my/our inspection,
complied with BS 7671 except as detailed in Part 1 above.

read post 13, By adding a RCD socket you are still not protecting the cable you install, doing it the way Tel mentioned you protect the cable and new socket, the best suggestion in this thread by far and the right one IMHO.

for the love of god , take that broomhandle out your --- for 5 minutes.

whats the point of rcd'ing just 3 fookin feet of the houses entire internal wiring just to tick off a box on some crappy MWC ?

just move it , add nothing , change nothing.

;-)

for the love of god , take that broomhandle out your --- for 5 minutes.

whats the point of rcd'ing just 3 fookin feet of the houses entire internal wiring just to tick off a box on a ****y MWC ?

just move it , add nothing , change nothing.

;-)
haha, regarding the rest of the post no I won't, well I will now because since My post the OP has mentioned a radiator is going over the existing position so that changes everything, otherwise Tels suggestion is the right way, up yours

and say or write nowt.

[ElectriciansForums.net] Moving A Socket A Few Feet

haha, regarding the rest of the post no I won't, well I will now because since My post the OP has mentioned a radiator is going over the existing position so that changes everything, otherwise Tels suggestion is the right way, up yours

sorry but that sounded gibberish ??? read it back again.
i think hanging around with sarz lately has addled your brain , the new monkey inspired nursery rhyme sig is just further evidence........

;-)

Reply to Moving A Socket A Few Feet in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Recommended Sponsor News

Exclusive Forum Offer! Free euro 2024 wall chart for first 10 responses!

Hi everyone,

We have 10 exclusive Uheat EURO 2024 Wallcharts to giveaway for Electricians Forum Members! The first 10 people to reply YES to this thread - I will message and get them sent out to you just in time for this years tournament! GO GO GO

Quickwire Now Sponsor ElectriciansForums.net

I am sure you will join me in welcoming our newest sponsors of ElectriciansForums.net - Quickwire! They have decided to join us after seeing you guys discussing their products here. Now we have an expert on board that you can chat to @Quickwire-Sam who will be happy to answer your queries!

[ElectriciansForums.net] Quickwire Now Sponsor ElectriciansForums.net

@Quickwire-Sam said "At Quickwire, we're all about speed, safety, and reliability. We're a family-run business, and every Quickwire connector is proudly made right here in the UK, ensuring noticeable quality. In short, Quickwire is the fastest connection method on the market. Whether you're an experienced electrician or a DIY enthusiast, Quickwire makes electrical connections ridiculously quick and easy. We're passionate about blending British craftsmanship with innovation. If you have any questions or if there's any way we can help, please just ask me!"

PCBWay Now Sponsor ElectriciansForums.net!!

I hope you will all join me in welcoming our newest sponsor to the forum PCBWay! You can contact their friendly people by sending a message to @PCBWay who will be happy to answer your queries.

Welcome to the community and thanks for your sponsorship!

[ElectriciansForums.net] PCBWay Now Sponsor ElectriciansForums.net!!

PCBWay provides services including PCB Prototype and batch Production, PCB Assembly (SMT), 3D Printing, CNC Machining, PCB Design, Electronics Modules Selling, etc. We are committed to meeting the needs of global makers from different industries in terms of quality, delivery, cost-effectiveness, and any other demanding requests in electronics.

[ElectriciansForums.net] PCBWay Now Sponsor ElectriciansForums.net!!

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back