New Consumer Unit Installation - L&N Reverse at the sockets | Page 6 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss New Consumer Unit Installation - L&N Reverse at the sockets in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Thank you Midwest. Not my suspicions or conspiracy theories. Such fancies come from some of the contributors.
"Chatting". Is that how you see it? QED - if I hadn't been keenly monitoring and contributing to this thread I would have missed your advice. You are the first to suggest shutting down the electrical system completely right now. For several reasons that is not possible, and I will do my best to manage the risks as others have suggested, until the electrician arrives.
I still don't get it though - this is a new RCD based CU installation, which was installed as a 17th Ed requirement. Are we saying that the RCDs will not provide instantaneous protection in a reversed polarity situation? That doesn't make sense to me.
The electrician is confirmed to return on Monday at 9am to investigate, assess and repair. Depending on the outcome of that I may decide to get a separate, independent EICR/Fixed Wiring Test.
For anyone interested, I'm attaching (I hope!) an image I came across online which shows what electrical work requires a building warrant in Scotland. Note 2 seems a bit confusing!
View attachment 36420

My reference to 'chatting' on this forum, was acknowledging that you still have electrically powered sockets (assuming you are at home on the internet), when as I suggested, you should turn the power off IMO. In managing the risks, is perhaps your choice to put yourself at risk, but should you put others at risk (if you do not live on your own)?

As regards a building warrant, not being au fait with Scottish regulations, I'd be reticent to comment. However, I believe building warrant for a consumer unit replacement is dependant on the property.

Did you use this web site for your image?

Building Standards - http://www.gov.scot/Topics/Built-Environment/Building/Building-standards

I think if in doubt, you should ring your local authority and ask.

Pete999, I fully intend to provide feedback on Monday after the electrician has completed his work, hopefully successfully. Thanks for sticking with the saga and giving helpful advice.
Midwest, the image table I uploaded does show that building warrants depend on building types, which is why it was a table rather than a list.
Sparkychick, thanks so much for your explanation. Under the circumstances, until after the electrician's fix, what I am doing is the following: no changing light bulbs, no unnecessary power use at all, no washing machine or dishwasher, no heating. unused items to be unplugged throughout. Any other socket based requirements, I will do myself, with great caution.

Reverse polarity is only generally dangerous in a physical way when someone assumes, although you should never do this that something is not live because you believe it is isolated. It is highly unlikely it will damage any appliance.

Hi vol,

I've just got in and read this thread.

I've got to be honest I'm a bit gobsmacked.

I would strongly advise switch off your power now. Phone your electrician and get him out as an emergency call. If he cannot come out, call another electrician.

Please don't wait til Monday.

Get the second electrician to document what he finds and demand the former electrician pays for the second. If he wants to keep his registration he will pay. If he is not bothered or isn't registered I personally would want another electrician to check to see his work is up to scratch.

Pete.

i think OP has done enough to assure safety until monday. he can't realistically switch everything off... freezers etc. he can always isolate both poles if necessary by switching his RCD/s.

i think OP has done enough to assure safety until monday. he can't realistically switch everything off... freezers etc. he can always isolate both poles if necessary by switching his RCD/s.
I understand your point, but in vols first post it states that everyone was pleasantly surprised that the rcd's worked on such an old installation.
I'm concerned that if basic testing has not been done there may be more dangerous or potentially dangerous issues not highlighted. I would also be a bit dubious of the work carried out.
Add to that the known polarity issue I think I would not want to wait. I would also want someone else out to check even if the so called electrician came back and corrected the polarity issue.

What length of time should you leave a known potentially dangerous installation energised until it's sorted?
1 day 3days a week?

I personally would be calling an emergency response spark.

I don't mean you should PM him. But you, and others, write as if you are having a conversation among yourselves. I think it makes people feel like outsiders on an open forum! Why not just say 'OP, please update us when it is fixed'?
Well I don't know what you are going to make of my posts then with my bad spelling and grammar. As when I first posted on here when Telectrix had me for spelling its about the debate we all know what is meant.

I had the same readings in an industrial unit the other day very confusing as I had done all tests turned out to be a loose incoming neutral which dno came out and sorted. very dangerous in this situation as had 400v across an outlet

Well I don't know what you are going to make of my posts then with my bad spelling and grammar. As when I first posted on here when Telectrix had me for spelling its about the debate we all know what is meant.
Spelling and grammar don't bother me if I can follow the point being made. In some threads in the past people have started writing about the OP in the third person, it's like talking about someone when they are standing next to you! It just alienates people and makes the forum feel like a clique. I had a go at Pete, unfairly really, and I've apologised to him which he graciously accepted.

I started to read this post this afternoon taking note of when it was posted being yesterday 5.38 pm I'm thinking to myself give the electrician a fair go if he has done a good standard of installation ,all the necessary tests and has found reversed polarity at origin then would be coming back today/Monday to investigate further. It is not until I read on that you find a week has passed and it has been left energised like this that I find appalling.

Reply to New Consumer Unit Installation - L&N Reverse at the sockets in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net