poor workmanship | Page 4 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss poor workmanship in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

With numbered multi-core , sequentially the Lives are first then Neutral followed by Earth being last , and any spare after that then being tagged down to Earth as well .

On a side note , when it comes to any connections , unless already marked I go with live first then earth in the middle , with neutral last . This way if either connection should pull out / melt they have more chance of earthing out first .

On multicores I use odds as lives and evens as neutrals, but this is again due to a common convention in the stage lighting industry which comes from the convention for socapex connections.

So if you use live first then earth then neutral why not use core 1 as live, core 2 as earth and core 3 as neutral?

If you through joint an old 3 core to a new one do you cross the cores over and join the yellow to grey and the blue to black?

On multicores I use odds as lives and evens as neutrals, but this is again due to a common convention in the stage lighting industry which comes from the convention for socapex connections.

So if you use live first then earth then neutral why not use core 1 as live, core 2 as earth and core 3 as neutral?

If you through joint an old 3 core to a new one do you cross the cores over and join the yellow to grey and the blue to black?
Red
Blue
Yellow

Brown
Black
Grey
Line 1,2,3
Earth
Neutral

earth/cpc is usually in middle of three core no?

Yes this has been policy in the past , but this may be about to change !
I have to embarrassingly admit that it is the first time I have been made aware of Appendix 7 (informative ) , even after the same conversation with at least 3 different assessors !

Edit ; And I not just talking the part pish schemes .

Yes this has been policy in the past , but this may be about to change !
I have to embarrassingly admit that it is the first time I have been made aware of Appendix 7 (informative ) , even after the same conversation with at least 3 different assessors !

And finally youth prevails ;)

Mark , it is not yet a reg , but I can see it becoming one .
Now just to compound my embarrassment , do yo know when they brought out Appendix 7 ?

Mark , it is not yet a reg , but I can see it becoming one .
Now just to compound my embarrassment , do yo know when they brought out Appendix 7 ?

Im guessing BRB ? I remember going through that section when i was doing my time, so its definitley not a new addition to the BGB.

I have no idea how the hell I have missed that little gem for so long ?
Now I will be the first to admit that the reg's are not bedtime reading for me ! But whenever I take a sauna , I take a stubby with me and the reg's and have a brush up whilst relaxing .

I have no idea how the hell I have missed that little gem for so long ?
Now I will be the first to admit that the reg's are not bedtime reading for me ! But whenever I take a sauna , I take a stubby with me and the reg's and have a brush up whilst relaxing .

Not quite sure how old you are mate, but maybe the old eyesights not what it was ;)

On multicores I use odds as lives and evens as neutrals, but this is again due to a common convention in the stage lighting industry which comes from the convention for socapex connections .

Sorry Dave , just noticed this .
I do it this way as well , if running more than one circuit down the same multi-core .

Nope, earth is in the middle in a 2core & earth :smile5:
its all copper innit

thats 3c.

this is twin

[ElectriciansForums.net] poor workmanship

(if it doesnt come with insulation it doesnt exist)

i just used twin as an example

your not supposed to use black as N anymore so that diy'ers dont connect phase to N

unless its re-using old wiring

See this a lot and theres differing oppinions on using black or grey as neutral or as a cpc when using 3 core looked in BGB and found no reason why you carnt use either as long as its sleeved. I have heard comments about breaking away from using black as a neutral because under bs 7671 black is now a phase but so is grey and brown :ack2: Have found both coloured sleeved as either in installs

See this a lot and theres differing oppinions on using black or grey as neutral or as a cpc when using 3 core looked in BGB and found no reason why you carnt use either as long as its sleeved. I have heard comments about breaking away from using black as a neutral because under bs 7671 black is now a phase but so is grey and brown :ack2: Have found both coloured sleeved as either in installs

Yes you can use any colour you like and mark it at its terminations. There's nothing to stop you from using black singles throughout a conduit installation and just marking them up as L,N,E at their terminations.

But there is a convention for how these things are done. It has come from the old red, yellow and blue colours. They were used with red as live, yellow as earth and blue as neutral. Red changed to brown and is used as live, yellow changed to black and is used as earth, blue changed to grey and is used as neutral.

Why are you debating it? The modern colours are suggested in the OSG, yes, it is a suggestion, but why not follow it so we are all singing from the same book?

Blame H&S.....all getting tired with wrist assessments and method statements...

I always thought H&S were strict as on sites ... didn't realise you could drop them a few sexual favours to sway them.

No wonder the labourers are always so exhausted and lifeless

I always thought H&S were strict as on sites ... didn't realise you could drop them a few sexual favours to sway them.

You need to go careful ipf, people will start talking if you keep having to have your wrist assessed.

Perhaps I should have said risqué assessment, then ......now that could have been more of a misspell than a deliberate :smilewinkgrin:

Reply to poor workmanship in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net