Seem to find time wasters | Page 4 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Seem to find time wasters in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all,

I’ve not long started out on my own, and so because of this I try to keep my quotes down to generate business to start, but I seem to spend half my time giving out estimations to people and that’s the end of it. I seem to only find tire kickers.

I know my prices are on the lower side, I believe I present myself well, chat to the customers a little while and get to know them etc, but when I sent the price out they’re never to be heard from again, and if they do reply, it’s always the same, too expensive!!!

For example, yesterday I priced one up, 2 days work. £800 in total including around £400 materials, to get told I’m too expensive… it seems most people want something for nothing.

Anyway, my question is, is this experienced by most tradesmen, or is it just my luck at the moment?

Cheers

My last VAT inspection (some years back) two inspectors for three days, they owed me just under £1.00, amazing waste of our combined time, why do they target small business's, because it's easier to inspect them and not have to deal with company accountants, and with big business's they would be out of their depth under reams of paper.

I'd broadly agree, but I guess random inspections turn up enough bad apples and provide leads to other tax evaders.

If your 'price' is too low then you are just making a rod for your own back and allowing no room for errors.
A 'low' price , smells of shoddy rushed work and lack of professionalism , customers aren't stupid and 99% realise you are in business to make money but equally do a proper job.

How does the old saying go... ' you get what you pay for ' ?

Mostly that holds true, but plenty of shoddy work is carried out at high prices.

Oh for sure, I have seen loads of really carp work recently done by builders who have charged the home owner a small fortune for the work.

But usually carp work comes from builders / trades pricing too low to start with then having to rush or do a shoddy job because they simply need to get in and out in a hurry to make any money on the job

Reply to Seem to find time wasters in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net