Shall i give this lad a chance | Page 8 | on ElectriciansForums
Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Shall i give this lad a chance in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,

Just had my first CV through the door from a 16 year old who has previously done work experience with another local firm.

I have a CU change on Friday, what do you say, shall I ring him and see if he wants to tag along?

Got an extension next week too.

Any thoughts? Can it hurt to do so? Do I pay him and if so, what in? Biscuits and tea?

As for £20 i think thats plenty I was a level 2 plumbing apprentice just passed all my exams just waiting for my certs and I'm still on £20 per day without lunch and without being picked up and doing 50+ hours a week. i make some money on week ends doing my own jobs. i really do think that experience is more Important than money any day.

you say that but the problem is if there not fudging there paperwork then the nmw applies

He has work damn hard today, saved me at least 4 hours work to be honest, put loads of conduit up round a building and put the cables in it for me, made a good job of it.

I am going to look after him, I have just purchased the following PPE for him, to cover my --- and to look after him etc.

Hard Hat - JSP EVO 3 Comfort Plus Adjustable Slip Vented Safety Helmet White - EN 397
Gloves - Stanley Secure Handling Razor Tread Gripper Gloves Grey Large EN 388 (4.1.2.2)
Boots - Site Granite Safety Trainer Boots Dark Grey Size 10 - EN ISO 20345
Ear Defenders - Comfort 29.8dB Ear Defenders - EN 352-1 29.8dB SNR
Safety Glasses - DeWalt Protector Clear Lens Safety Specs - EN 166 (1.F)
Safety Goggles - JSP Direct Vent Safety Goggles - EN 166
Hi Vis - Hi vis vest
Knee Pads - Foam knee inserts

I have also got him to sign a PPE Issue form against each item to prove he has had it.

I have paid and got him insured to the same value as me and also sending him on a half day ladder association stepladder and ladder user course and also a manual handling half day just to cover my ---, as I know what will happen, he will fall of my steps twist his ankle and his parents will want to know why I have not shown him how to use them officially. For what its worth id rather cover my back.

I have just lent him the following books to take to bed for a week and suggested he considers getting them, also I am going to prepare him and work him towards doing the 17th reg so he has that. Ill make sure he is well ahead in his college course, im going to start going through loads of testing with him next week, no point in getting him sweeping the floor as he wont learn how to be a spark otherwise!

Books I have just lent him for the week

Electrical Installations Level 3 2330 Technical Certificate & 2356 NVQ Student Book
The City & Guilds Textbook: Level 3 Diploma in Electrical Installations (Buildings and Structures) 2365 Units 201, 301-5 and 308

17th Edition IEE Wiring Regulations: Inspection, Testing and Certification
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0080966101/ref=oh_details_o08_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As an Amazon Associate Electricians Forums may earn a small commission from qualifying purchases.
I know I couldn't believe it when he said size 10, but sure enough he tried 9 and they were really right. He has really impressed me today.

i think what I need to know is what is he supposed to know after the first year? Etc..
He should be picking kit up and creating work rather than just waiting to be told, he should be making suggestions about how to do a job and not looking at his Iphone constantly, he should be telling you about the latest kit he has bought you have never heard of.

Don't worry about what he should know after the first year, college will look after that and I am sure will lead to plenty of questions. You just have to give him the answers and plenty of site experience which a college can not supply.

I know I couldn't believe it when he said size 10, but sure enough he tried 9 and they were really right. He has really impressed me today.

i think what I need to know is what is he supposed to know after the first year? Etc..

As much as you let him. If he earns trust and takes in what you tell him without the 'I know better' attitude then I don't see any reason to hold him back. Practically, he should be comfortable after a year wouldn't you think?

Well today he fixed loads of conduit up to this 200 year old wall round a house that's going to be rendered, he did keep suggesting things, been very helpful, he's actually very bright. He even said half a sec and went and got my cable lube out the van before I had chance to suggest it, he must have seen it in there.

I just oust keep hearing of people who just get them to make the tea, and never do any proper work. I'm going to get him doing all the testing and fixing etc on the rewire next week. He seems to have a really good eye for detail and seems to care about what things look like, I get the feeling I'll only have to show him something once and he will not stray, I've got a good feeling about it all!

He has work damn hard today, saved me at least 4 hours work to be honest, put loads of conduit up round a building and put the cables in it for me, made a good job of it.

I am going to look after him, I have just purchased the following PPE for him, to cover my --- and to look after him etc.

Hard Hat - JSP EVO 3 Comfort Plus Adjustable Slip Vented Safety Helmet White - EN 397
Gloves - Stanley Secure Handling Razor Tread Gripper Gloves Grey Large EN 388 (4.1.2.2)
Boots - Site Granite Safety Trainer Boots Dark Grey Size 10 - EN ISO 20345
Ear Defenders - Comfort 29.8dB Ear Defenders - EN 352-1 29.8dB SNR
Safety Glasses - DeWalt Protector Clear Lens Safety Specs - EN 166 (1.F)
Safety Goggles - JSP Direct Vent Safety Goggles - EN 166
Hi Vis - Hi vis vest
Knee Pads - Foam knee inserts

I have also got him to sign a PPE Issue form against each item to prove he has had it.

I have paid and got him insured to the same value as me and also sending him on a half day ladder association stepladder and ladder user course and also a manual handling half day just to cover my ---, as I know what will happen, he will fall of my steps twist his ankle and his parents will want to know why I have not shown him how to use them officially. For what its worth id rather cover my back.

I have just lent him the following books to take to bed for a week and suggested he considers getting them, also I am going to prepare him and work him towards doing the 17th reg so he has that. Ill make sure he is well ahead in his college course, im going to start going through loads of testing with him next week, no point in getting him sweeping the floor as he wont learn how to be a spark otherwise!

Books I have just lent him for the week

Electrical Installations Level 3 2330 Technical Certificate & 2356 NVQ Student Book
The City & Guilds Textbook: Level 3 Diploma in Electrical Installations (Buildings and Structures) 2365 Units 201, 301-5 and 308

17th Edition IEE Wiring Regulations: Inspection, Testing and Certification
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0080966101/ref=oh_details_o08_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
His he on work duty or Riot duty :rofl:

As an Amazon Associate Electricians Forums may earn a small commission from qualifying purchases.
He's on I better cover my back duty, I know he will drop a hammer in his toe, brake it, then have his parents saying I should have got him footwear, I would rather just do the right thing. It only cost £50 to kit him out with the basic PPE.

He's on I better cover my back duty, I know he will drop a hammer in his toe, brake it, then have his parents saying I should have got him footwear, I would rather just do the right thing. It only cost £50 to kit him out with the basic PPE.

If he breaks your hammer mate, then make him pay for it.

Reply to Shall i give this lad a chance in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net