Shall i give this lad a chance | Page 6 | on ElectriciansForums
Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Shall i give this lad a chance in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,

Just had my first CV through the door from a 16 year old who has previously done work experience with another local firm.

I have a CU change on Friday, what do you say, shall I ring him and see if he wants to tag along?

Got an extension next week too.

Any thoughts? Can it hurt to do so? Do I pay him and if so, what in? Biscuits and tea?

including boots or has he got some already? I haven't commented on this thread so far, but really hope he works out for you. He sounds keen and you mentioned that he asks the right questions. always a good sign

including boots or has he got some already? I haven't commented on this thread so far, but really hope he works out for you. He sounds keen and you mentioned that he asks the right questions. always a good sign

The bit that worried me was uk's last post about not knowing how the lad felt about 20.00 per day, if he wants to learn the trade then he needs to start at the bottom.

I actually meant to say about that also.forgot to type it.still got a bloody headache.
yeah, he really needs to know how the lad honestly feels about the money and whether or not it will stop him giving it 100%. If he wants more, I'd personally say no at this stage.if he's happy with the arrangement, great.

I suggested £20 per day plus lunch to this lad and I'm not sure how he took it to be honest.

I can guess how he took it, especially as he worked well from what you said. Perhaps an explanation as to how and why you came to this figure would help. e.g. picking him up, tools, extra time taken on jobs to train + check work. Are you paying his college fees and time at college as normal apprenticeships? If not, surely he should be on minimum wage at least?

I think he was ok with it, it was difficult to say, hopefully he will accept it. Jees, I gave him £20 on Friday for helping and didn't do a vast amount, but just wanted to keep him happy and show that I don't want him for free etc.

Yes I'll get his footwear.

I text him today to let him know I've got this extension on mon, tues, thur and fri, a shower circuit Wednesday and a rewire all next week, he didn't reply though... He's only 16, maybe he's run out of credit, I'll email him.

Ive got loads of useful documents I'm going to email him, I've got the 2330 and 2365 books as well so can really help him if he wants my time.

I can guess how he took it, especially as he worked well from what you said. Perhaps an explanation as to how and why you came to this figure would help. e.g. picking him up, tools, extra time taken on jobs to train + check work. Are you paying his college fees and time at college as normal apprenticeships? If not, surely he should be on minimum wage at least?

I said to him that I came to the figure by way of what other people pay etc and hen see how it goes and increase accordingly, I mentioned I'm not sure what the minimum is but will look at it and work it out as to give him the correct amount. But the majority on him seemed to suggest £20 + lunch to start with.

I said to him that I came to the figure by way of what other people pay etc and hen see how it goes and increase accordingly, I mentioned I'm not sure what the minimum is but will look at it and work it out as to give him the correct amount. But the majority on him seemed to suggest £20 + lunch to start with.
2.60 is minimum per hour from goverment. It varies by age though

Thats for first year apprentice.

It will be £20.80p for 8 hour day say

Where did you find that info please? I just looked and it said 3.72 per hour for under 18...
For first year they will be on apprentice minimum wage 2.68

On gov.uk

Quick google search brings it up

My employer is a checky basted and I dont get min.

As soon as I find somewhere else im leaving, I wouldn't mind so much but firm is slapdash now the 2 decent sparks who always do a good job have left

I hope he's not like most his age and understands that it will cost you (time/tools etc) to mentor him. Also that when qualified he will earn far more than his mates (maybe) who may never earn much more than min wage.
I perhaps focused on 'not quite sure how he took it' too much!

Reply to Shall i give this lad a chance in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net