Tails into metal switch fuse | Page 3 | on ElectriciansForums
Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Tails into metal switch fuse in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Gazthesparky

-
Arms
Reaction score
I've got a job where I'm running a Swa sub main to a 17th edition board. I've got to put a switchfuse by the meter and I'm intending to run tails from the meter into it.

Previously I've put a male bush and locknut in the bottom and run the tails into that but I'm after other ideas that give strain relief.

I've seen the wiska tails stuffing gland but it's expensive at about 20 quid a pop

Any other ideas ? Suggestions

Cheers

[ElectriciansForums.net] Tails into metal switch fuse

Right well that's the switch fuse fitted I had to fit the tails in the top with a stuffing gland

For the moment the temp supply board tails are in the top of the stuffer as well once the temp board is removed I'll put the stuffer together and screw it secure to maintain the ip rating

Next question is what sort of price are people paying for a new metal clad high integrity board?

I'm running a Swa sub main so seems silly to use a plastic consumer unit and be ready for the new amendment

My wholesaler has quoted over £400 for a wylex minus the Mcbs

Which is expensive. Just wondering if that's the rough price people are paying.

If not any other suggestions of makes/ suppliers

Feel free to private message me so we don't need to talk about prices on an open forum

Cheers

Last edited:

Right well that's the switch fuse fitted I had to fit the tails in the top with a stuffing gland

For the moment the temp supply board tails are in the top of the stuffer as well once the temp board is removed I'll put the stuffer together and screw it secure to maintain the ip rating

Next question is what sort of price are people paying for a new metal clad high integrity board?

I'm running a Swa sub main so seems silly to use a plastic consumer unit and be ready for the new amendment

Feel free to private message me so we don't need to talk about prices on an open forum

Cheers

Hager 5+5 MC HI board with dual RCDs and eight breakers around £130.00 from eddy's. The normal dual boards i.e. not high integrity are not really any cheaper when I enquired.

Cheers

Hager 5+5 MC HI board with dual RCDs and eight breakers around £130.00 from eddy's. The normal dual boards i.e. not high integrity are not really any cheaper when I enquired.

Trying to understand why you went to all the effort of putting the tails into the stuffing gland, then not doing in properly in the first place. Is that the internal rubber bush around two of the tails? Do I see 4 x tails going into the isolator? Have I missed something in the thread.

Trying to understand why you went to all the effort of putting the tails into the stuffing gland, then not doing in properly in the first place. Is that the internal rubber bush around two of the tails? Do I see 4 x tails going into the isolator? Have I missed something in the thread.
I think you missed post #33, work in progress.

The new metal Hager boards either come with or have an option for a tails support clamp within the CU mounted just above the main isolator switch...

Just picked up a metal clad Hager high integrity dual RCD board. It does not have the same clasp as the other new Hager Design range, nor does it have the internal tails clamp...no provision to retrofit one either as it's just the back of the CU with no mounting points at all. Managed to order some of the Wiska M40 glands at way below trade price through somewhere I used to work so they will be holding the tails firmly instead.

Last edited:
Prices should surely come down a bit more when it's in full swing. Still prefer plastic but gotta give the customer the option. The Wiska glands have been a bugger to get hold of though.

Did you manage to get the wiska gland with the insert for 2xtails and 1x earth?

Aye, them the ones. Priced at £13 each. Only other place I found them was on eBay for £19. Tried three wholesalers to no avail.

It was you who brought them to my attention, so cheers mate.

Reply to Tails into metal switch fuse in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net