TNCS High ZE at origin | Page 4 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss TNCS High ZE at origin in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

AdamGiguere

Hi there

Testing at origin of a domestic property, I have found:

L-N: 0.44 Ohms
L-E: 9.89 Ohms

I had the DNO attend clients address, there response was that it was quite high and confirmed readings of 0.44 for ZE. (Pleasee attached document with their response)

My concern is they don't seem to have checked the reading between L-E......

Anyone know what could be the cause of this? MET connections are tight and in good condition....

Many thanks in advance.

Adam

[ElectriciansForums.net] TNCS High ZE at origin

If there was no link - would I be getting a reading similar to 9 ohms?

I'd expect no reading...?

If so and there is no link - where is the 9 ohms coming from?
It depends on where the 25mm earth goes. If it is not connected to anything at the other end and a Ze reading is taken (disconnect 25mm earth at MET and measure between live and disconnected earth) then the reading will be off the scale. If the 25mm earth is connected to an earth rod or the property pipe work, then you will be getting a TT type reading so 9 Ohms is a good reading if it is a TT system (Attaching to pipe work is acceptable now and I think if that is the case an earth spike would be needed to be fitted to keep the TT system but someone should be able to confirm that) . If it is PME and all cables are good, then you will get almost the same reading as taking a Z reading between live and neutral.

If you are converting from a TT to a PME, then I believe care must be taken about bonding and cross bonding before the conversion takes place.

It also appears from the DNO reply that they have measured between live and neutral at the service head and get 0.44 Ohms, and then again at their transformer on the pole and had a reading of 0.33 Ohms there, so they can and will convert to PME, but it will not meet the 0.35 Ohms max allowable for PME systems, so they require you to calculate if the 0.44 Ohms is good enough.

Out of interest, is the main switch on the CU an RCD? Or, are all the circuits protected by RCD’s.

Unless it's a Private water supply and precautions are taken against its removal it can be considered for use as an earth electrode but in this case I don't think it will apply.
If it's a TT installation at the moment then 9 ohms is a bloody good reading if all parallel paths have been removed during testing.

I did think this when reading it - supply pole would indicate earth rod...

But if this is the case then they have said 0.33 at the supply pole, I shouldn't be getting a reading of over 9 ohms at the MET should I?
0.33 is the Zs at the DNO pole. From your supply assuming it is TT, the earth cable goes into the ground, then across the high resistance mud to the earth rod at the DNO pole where it joins the 0.33 Ohm DNO earthing system. The resistance between the supply pole earth rod, through the ground and on to the end of the 25mm earth you have at your MET is roughly 8.77 ohms giving you 9 ohms for your Ze.

From their reply, I do not believe the DNO has converted to PME, they have investigated the possibility of converting to PME and their readings are what you WOULD be getting if you were to convert and they require confirmation from you and another visit to convert and give you a PME earth tail.

If you do convert from TT to PME there are things you must be aware of (bonding, cross bonding etcetera).

Hi Davisonp

This sounds like a good translation of their wording.

I'm pretty sure it's not a TT system/although could be mistaken.

I did think perhaps maybe a TNS due to the 0.44 on the L-N

But have been advised by a colleague who came to site with me originally that it's a TNCS.

Hopefully they have a log of their visit and can advise what system it definitely is

TNS (and PME) should be obvious. If it is TNS, the 25mm earth will be clamped to the outer casing of the supply cable usually just before the main fuse.

Reply to TNCS High ZE at origin in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net