No earth in lighting circuit what next? | Page 5 | on ElectriciansForums
Guest viewing is limited

Discuss No earth in lighting circuit what next? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Im sure this has probably been asked before in this forum but ive just upgraded a fuseboard today and found no earth in the lighting (two core). Obviously the next thing to do would be to tell the customer either rewire or change everything on that circuit to class 2 fittings and accessories, but in this case the customer didnt want to go ahead with either.... what should i do? Cutting the circuit out would be abit extreme?

The point Im making is.
Is it safer ?
I know its wrong but is it safer on a mcb with RCD protection or a BS3036 with no RCD protection ?

You still have the problem of not being able to issue a cert as it doesn't comply with BS7671, would constitute a C2 in the case described, and is not a permitted departure. Regulation 132.16 could be demonstrated to not have been followed too.

You still have the problem of not being able to issue a cert as it doesn't comply with BS7671, would constitute a C2 in the case described, and is not a permitted departure. Regulation 132.16 could be demonstrated to not have been followed too.

Rubbish.

BS 7671 is being written by vested interests to sell products and make profits.

Replacing a BS 3036 board with a twin RCD board or RCBO board WILL make the installation safer. A label stating the lighting circuit had no CPC and an EIC stating rewire of the circuit is enough imho

Not issuing an EIC is madness, issuing an EIC stating what is recommended is the way to deal with it

Or walking away, leaves the customer open to a cowboy changing the board, not issuing paperwork or highlighting the issues

I know what I would do (and have done)

Our responsibility is to make installations safer ....

Many customers don’t have the resources to rewire......

The current authors of BS 7671 are so far removed from the coal face, they are probably on the moon ........

Rubbish.

Replacing a BS 3036 board with a twin RCD board or RCBO board WILL make the installation safer. A label stating the lighting circuit had no CPC and an EIC stating rewire of the circuit is enough imho

Not issuing an EIC is madness, issuing an EIC stating what is recommended is the way to deal with it

Or walking away, leaves the customer open to a cowboy changing the board, not issuing paperwork or highlighting the issues

The current authors of BS 7671 are so far removed from the coal face, they are probably on the moon ........

So @westwood10

You would walk away ...... or what?

Please explain your disagree .....

Rubbish.

Fair enough you have your feelings about the regs, as do we all, but my statement was one of fact. A certificate issued based on the model forms of BS7671 is a certificate to say that the installation complies with BS7671 or that any departures offer at least the same degree of safety.
I don't have any certs that state "I connected up a load of crap but at least it's better than it was to some extent", so I stick to the rules laid out in that there book.

Rubbish.

With class I fittings as in the case in question. Yes we would refuse the job but we all work to different standards.

But you may highlight the problems to the client, they nod their head in agreement not understanding what you are saying, then there is some kind of incident, you end up in court and they say will I didnt really understand and he did the work and took my money.......

Fair enough you have your feelings about the regs, as do we all, but my statement was one of fact. A certificate issued based on the model forms of BS7671 is a certificate to say that the installation complies with BS7671 or that any departures offer at least the same degree of safety.
I don't have any certs that state "I connected up a load of crap but at least it's better than it was to some extent", so I stick to the rules laid out in that there book.
This isn’t an EIC for an installation though.
It’s an EIC for a new Consumer Unit.

Of course you can issue a cert.
The cert covers the work conducted.
The lack of CPC warrants a comment on the existing installation.
It’s not a departure, because it was already there.

Section 10;

https://www.----------------------------/media/1203/best-practice-guide-1-issue-3.pdf

I've not been in this position, but I have been asked to carry out 'alterations/additions' to an existing lighting circuit with no cpc. I declined & informed my client, and only replaced the existing light fitting with Class2. My client subsequently had his property rewired.

I've found the BPG linked by snowhead quite useful in the past, as guidance on what to do in such situations.

If section 10 is read, the guidance is clear, that a circuit without a cpc, can only be re-energised after testing (10.5.5 & 10.5.4) confirms there would be no risk of electric shock.

The guide suggests the use of Class2 fittings cannot be used in domestic premises (10.7), although the reg no. referred to needs updating.

Therefore, what I did in my first paragraph was against this guidance; however I left it in no worse in terms of compliance (Building Regs).

@Elliott96 perhaps will change his strategy in the future, but tend to agree with those, that he has made the overall install safer than it was. Its whats he to do with the offending lighting circuit? I wouldn't be altering it to comply, free of charge.

So @westwood10

You would walk away ...... or what?

Please explain your disagree .....

Do not start the silly ratings war again, people can give whatever rating they like and don't have to explain themselves to you.
This was one of the reason for your last Ban , let's not go there again.
In the name of fairness , can @UNG give me another dislike as i have somehow deleted the 1st one you have me.

I think the main issue here is if he had done a few basic tests he would have found the lighting had no cpc.
At that point he should have had a conversation with the client, if they refused to have it rectified he should have walked away. Instead he as swapped the Db and then energised a dangerous circuit. And sèems to have adopted a don't care attitude.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the main issue here is if he had done a few basic tests he would have found the lighting had no doc.
At that point he should have had a conversation with the client, if they refused to have it rectified he should have walked away. Instead he as swapped the Db and then energised a dangerous circuit. And sèems to have adopted a don't care attitude.

Agree with your first point, perhaps the OP has learned something new, like we all do every day.

Disagree with your last point, otherwise he wouldn't of posted the thread in the first place.

Reply to No earth in lighting circuit what next? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net