part p jobby assessment thing | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss part p jobby assessment thing in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

telectrix

-
Mentor
Arms
Reaction score
Hello, fellow sparkies. I’m a fully qualified electricianhaving done a 5 week course , got my Part P and everything. Got my NICEICdomestic installer inspection in 2 weeks. Going to rewire my parents house forthe inspector to see. It’s a prefab, all concrete, built about 1950 and iswired in that awful round copper covered cable that fits into the boxes withbrass nuts. It’s all 2 core cable, so there’s no earth. I’m going to do it allin stickyback plastic trunking, should only take me about a week. The niceicwant a small job as well, so I plan to fit a circuit for washing machine andtumble dryer in the only place in my small flat where they will fit. Thebathroom. As the floor is tiled, I can’t get to the socket cables, so I plan tocome from the bathroom light in the attic, down the corner of the bathroom intrunking, under the bath, and fit a double socket under the bath where the tapsare. I’ve looked up in the regulations, and that’s OK because you need ascrewdriver to get the panel off. Also it makes the plumbing easy, straightfrom the tap pipes. And, because there’s no earth on the lighting, I can fix awire from the earth of the socket to the cold water pipe. One thing I could notunderstand from the course is why I need to use thick cable on showers andcookers. Is it something to do with the bigger cable allowing the amps to flowfaster, like bigger water pipes allow faster water flowing?

Hey Eng 54

I'm not trying to be cheeky - just want confirmation if I really saw this or was I dreaming.

Ok here it is; I posted earlier on here that I have a Drummond Test Lamp and it's true - I really have - and it's body is made from plastic, but I seem to remember seeing one a very long time ago (1950 something??) that was made from wood.

Can you confirm if this is true or am I going senile please?

To be honest i've never seen one made of wood, the early ones i've seen were made of a thick black bakelite material and hardened glass. They have been around long before i entered the game, my uncle who i used to work with while i was still at school, had a couple of them. So i'd say they were definitely around in the late 50's.

just go down to home base
Or B&Q some good offers on at the moment for the 17 day wonders LOL, I saw this earlier today it was 79 quid, not bad for all the extras which come with it.

Attachments

• [ElectriciansForums.net] part p jobby assessment thing
    004.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 52
To be honest i've never seen one made of wood, the early ones i've seen were made of a thick black bakelite material and hardened glass. They have been around long before i entered the game, my uncle who i used to work with while i was still at school, had a couple of them. So i'd say they were definitely around in the late 50's.

Maybe I have mistaken the Bakelite for wood then.

Like I say, it was a long time ago and the thought of it just entered my head when I got to thinking about my plastic one.

I've got a photo of a wooden one from a previous rewire, i'll post it up once I upload it from my phone, by the looks of things and talking to the owner i'd say it was around the 30/40s

[ElectriciansForums.net] part p jobby assessment thing

Sorry it's not the clearest of photos, photography is not a speciality of mine

Edit: My bad, I didn't read the previous quote, I thought you were talking about a cu for some reason. Long days, not enough sleep, woops.

Last edited by a moderator:
i think the early solenoid testers...such as the squareD.also known as the wigglestone `wiggy` were out of a hardwood....

they were developed in america in the 30s...

Reply to part p jobby assessment thing in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net