What wire to use when spurring a circuit onto additional sockets? | Page 4 | on ElectriciansForums
Guest viewing is limited

Discuss What wire to use when spurring a circuit onto additional sockets? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

liamj2003

I am wishing to extend and install some new sockets close to an existing socket in a room, I am a complete newbie when it comes to electrics although sensible and aware of the dangers, I want to install some additional power sockets in my living room but unsure what wire i need to use.

I am aware that this is an easy question but i dont know the answer so appreciate the help and if a few people could answer to confirm its right.

Once i know ill order some on ebay.

Many Thanks!!

I am wishing to extend and install some new sockets close to an existing socket in a room, I am a complete newbie when it comes to electrics although sensible and aware of the dangers, I want to install some additional power sockets in my living room but unsure what wire i need to use.

I am aware that this is an easy question but i dont know the answer so appreciate the help and if a few people could answer to confirm its right.

Many Thanks!!

back to the original question;
liam i would recomend if you are going to buy cable to do as suggested and not buy it off ebay but from the diy stores or such. you really don`t know what you will be getting from the online sellers on ebay.

with regards to extending the circuit the best advice i could give you is to get an electrician in to have a look at it for you. it may very well be a spur already that you may be wanting to take the new socket from and without the correct meters etc you may well never know. also in the event of a fault you may well find yourself having to answer to the insurance company.
the job as you describe it should not cost too much and i would at least get a quote from someone first. as you may be supprised how cheap it may well be. if you want to feel free to pop your location (not full address) on here and i am sure someone will be more than happy to come take a look at it for you.

Many Thanks!!

^^^^^ original post that we have forgotten about.

Due to you saying that you are a novice and that you want to change a circuit that needs to be notified my reply is for you to get an electrician in to do the work correctly and safe.

Phil beat me to it.

Last edited:
You have missed over the point that it is not as simple to give the op advice on how to do this job as you first said it was. You said that electrical work was easy and we proved it was not. You have not proven your statement that it is easy or admitted you are wrong.

I really have no idea what topic you think you have superior knowledge on here.
Show me anything you consider complicated in the 17th edition and I will show you a conundrum of equal "difficulty" in a GCSE exam paper.

How have you proved electrical work was not easy? In fact I never said it was easy, I said "it was not as complicated as it is made out to be on these forums" or words to that effect.

You can go to Halfords and buy brake discs, pads and a book on how to fit them. Now that is what I call dangerous.
Come on the guy wants to run a few extra sockets!
I fully understand you want to protect your trade and at times we all make our selves out to be far more clever than we are. But do you really think the patronising responses to the odd DIY'ers questions help to elevate your trades professionalism?

Steve

steve the question has been brought back onto topic by myself and paul.

The guy may very well want to add just a few extra sockets,
but i for one don`t know if he can safely isolate a circuit. if the circuit as mentioned in my earlier post is already a spur. will he be running it in the correct zones? we also don`t know the condition of the current wiring.
i am sure when you did your 2382 you will have dealt with insulation resistance values, these of which by the op asking the question i have no idea what values these will test out at and i am fairly confident in thinking no one else does on this thread or forum either. these are just some of the factors that need to be addressed when installing any cabling.

i don`t believe my response is in any way trying to make myself out to be more clever than i am at all or in any way trying to big up the trade.
the answers i have given are not only good practice but a requirement to the wiring regulations. i for one would not feel happy just to pop some extra sockets in off a circuit without testing it first.

Is that what you tell your customers? Just buy the refrigeration unit, buy a book its not that hard. As I've said we all know its not rocket science but its not as easy as you make it, in fact be-little it.

Show me anything you consider complicated in the 17th edition and I will show you a conundrum of equal "difficulty" in a GCSE exam paper.

How have you proved electrical work was not easy? In fact I never said it was easy, I said "it was not as complicated as it is made out to be on these forums" or words to that effect.

You can go to Halfords and buy brake discs, pads and a book on how to fit them. Now that is what I call dangerous.
I fully understand you want to protect your trade and at times we all make our selves out to be far more clever than we are. But do you really think the patronising responses to the odd DIY'ers questions help to elevate your trades professionalism?

Steve

Do you really think it is as simple as telling the op to buy a bit of 2.5mm t&e and connect it into the existing socket then run it to the new socket?? If so then you really do not have a clue. From his first post we do not know if it is a ring or a radial, if the socket he plans to come from is already spurred off the ring. We don't know the length of the run or how he plans to run it. These are all vital to the way it is done. I have superior knowledge of electrical work over the op and you!! Noone on this forum tries to make the job sound more complicated than it is. People like endanger the DIYer by making them think it is just a case of stick in a cable and there you go. No testing required??? What if he tries it and does a bad connection? What if he does not safely isolate before starting work? How good is your advise then? You need to remember electricity can kill. I can also tell you I done GCSEs and all required exams to become a fully qualified electrician and the latter was a lot harder. So don't talk down to me! And others in this trade!!

Steve

Isn't that what you've just done with the 2382 ???? You've basicly bought the book, passed an exam on how to read the book and said to all us here tonight "how hard can it be" !??

Steve

OK Steve, let's have your answer to the op.

It's not complicated and I would like to hear your response to this simple question.

I think some people forget this forum is also FUN and I have made some friends and got business off this site however, if it was just about giving advice I would not use it.

I do give advise and help people, I do take the mick and have fun, however I dont personally insult anyone or any trade (Plumbers excluded) just for the sake of it

Here is a picture of a DIY socket extension in a customers garage..........He was an inteligent chap, well capable of stringing a few sockets together.........

He knew what type of wire and socket to buy, MY ADVICE IS GET AN ELECTRICIAN TO DO IT
[ElectriciansForums.net] What wire to use when spurring a circuit onto additional sockets?

Attachments

• [ElectriciansForums.net] What wire to use when spurring a circuit onto additional sockets?
    !cid_Image0135.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
Crikey, you lot make a simple task seem so complicated.

Your man Durham Spark offered what seems like good advice to a chap asking about extending a few sockets, bearing in mind the chap is going to do it himself anyway. Now you lot have inferred that his house will burn down if he happens to use bell wire on the off chance he may have it in his shed ????:confused:

Your job/profession really is not as complicated as you lot think it is. A basic grasp of "O Level" physics is all it amounts to. Where is the speciality?

Steve

My opinion of steve k.

Your stupid.

You obviously know nothing what so ever about the subject going off your ridiculous comment.

Was it meant to be a joke???

Stupid stupid stupid stupid idiot.

Fair enough you may be very clever and I’m sorry.

But that comment makes you sound like a really dumb brain dead person.

Last edited by a moderator:
After my lunch i tend to keep hold of my empty kit-kat foil and twist them all together, after a solid couple of weeks i tend to have enough to make up a handy earth for metal fixings and such. Its economical AND tasty. I also find .22 rim fire rounds make great 13amp fuses....

Reply to What wire to use when spurring a circuit onto additional sockets? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net