Why do no employers pay the rate any more? | Page 3 | on ElectriciansForums
Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Why do no employers pay the rate any more? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I don't know if this is just a Scotland specific problem but all the big domestic electrical firms either pay you below the SJIB rate or you work on a price system which amounts in some cases to you doing a full weeks work for £250. It's doing my head in and I'm thinking of quitting the trade. All the companies I have worked for in the last few years are vastly under paying their staff while putting massive amounts of pressure for results. Rant over. But my question is how can they be getting away with this?

Quite agree, they could of made a huge difference in this respect if they put their mind to it.

I don't bash any particular party, they in my mind are all the same, thinking more about the interests of themselves and it's fund raisers, rather than the country interests to which they were elected to govern ....

As for your main post contents, that may well be true to a point, but i doubt very much if would have affected the trades side of things to the degree you imply. The immigrants normally took to low grade work/positions that no-body wanted to do unless literary forced to...

corrected that for you.

Ed Balls - "Mr give me a receipt for a £10 hedge trim", pays his window cleaner the same amount for over a decade, and never a receipt asked for.

Moron

Your having a laugh aint you, the large scale commercial sector is where its happening the most, one bunch of monkeys installing the unistrutt, another doing the cabling, another for containment, another for second fixing

with only a handful of skilled people at the top taking the lead

its big commercial companies that have designed it to be this way!

for every real electrician on site there are a half dozen 'mates' or installers

again the only ones making any money are the blokes at the top taking on the contracts

You know on reflection your absolutely right.
Having fitted out several well known German supermarkets.
We suddenly found we could no longer compete when tendering.
They ended up using a polish company who flew there workforce in.
2 months after completion we were called to investigate a number of electrical problems.
I remember one issue was with the lighting.
The shop floor, offices, and ware house had 3 stage lighting that was, or should have been, controlled by modem from head office.
They were getting communication but the controller was only working manually.
The reason was the IT guys had done there bit, but the polish sparkies had by passed the control gear so it was controlling sod all ???
It gets better.
In the spec we had tendered for.
Containment was supposed to be galv conduit, trunking cable tray swa's ect.
They had spider wired flexi armoured all across the roof void !!!
A plate of spaghetti would look neater.
At least it explained to us why we couldn't compete on price.
And when we put a complaint in to the consultant company they just shrugged and said they agreed with our findings but unfortunately the whole scenario is somewhat political.
We knew that politics played a big part because, most of the lighting fitted on the last job was tamalite (as per spec)
And when the snagging list came back to us, we were told we had to remove the union jack from every single fitting.
How the hell do you compete with our european cousins with this kind of nonsense going on.
I still feel the guys working in the Domestic sector are getting a very raw deal with all this though.

corrected that for you.

Ed Balls - "Mr give me a receipt for a £10 hedge trim", pays his window cleaner the same amount for over a decade, and never a receipt asked for.

Moron
How you can even consider blaming Labour for the state of the Industry is beyond me, Clive your a doughnut, surely even you can admit thatcher started it all, get a grip man.

How you can even consider blaming Labour for the state of the Industry is beyond me, Clive your a doughnut, surely even you can admit thatcher started it all, get a grip man.

And New Labour carried on for a further 13 years............ They had more than enough opportunities to reverse pretty much ANYTHING they wanted, especially with the huge majorities they had but didn't...... which is why:

Tony Blair MP = anagram - I'm Tory Plan B

So that's why I don't trust any of them, which is a position I've made clear on many occassions.

Until MP's starting leading by example and doing what they promise to do, I won't believe them.

Personally I think about 400 of them need to be replaced, and replaced with people like you and me - i.e. old codgers who have lived and worked in the real life. Been hungry, unemployed, struggled and coped with what life throughs at us.

The electricians mate has always been a bit of an English thing ,we don't really have them in jock land
but as Essex boy says a couple of Sparks and a load of labourers do not make for a decent job at the end of the day.
we have big outfits up here that use a few Sparks and have loads of apprentices instead of mates
so it's nothing new tbh.
a mate of mine took a guy on who had been a spark for 30 years highly regarded in the big contracting end etc etc.
turns out he had the electrical know how of a first year laddie and the people skills of pol pot.
and this boy thought he was worth top dollar!
lads that are worth the money are seriously hard to come by IMO

And New Labour carried on for a further 13 years............ They had more than enough opportunities to reverse pretty much ANYTHING they wanted, especially with the huge majorities they had but didn't...... which is why:

So that's why I don't trust any of them, which is a position I've made clear on many occassions.

Until MP's starting leading by example and doing what they promise to do, I won't believe them.

Personally I think about 400 of them need to be replaced, and replaced with people like you and me - i.e. old codgers who have lived and worked in the real life. Been hungry, unemployed, struggled and coped with what life throughs at us.
How can they reverse sub contracting after it was implicated? just impossible, there would be mass unemployment, not do able.

How can they reverse sub contracting after it was implicated? just impossible, there would be mass unemployment, not do able.

Absolute rollocks.

They could have reversed all the changes that Thatcher made to curb the poower of the unions etc, etc.

Its like now with the IR35 changes - there are countless people who are "self employed" but they are effectively "employed" - silence from Labour. As usual

1. Nice work. :biggrin:

2. throws.

Sub contracting was 8 years old and too deeply established to abolish in 1997, somethings cannot be undone, changing the whole system would have caused chaos, silly posts itemising majorities in elections will not prove your ridiculously silly point.

Reply to Why do no employers pay the rate any more? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net