18 Days to come qualified | Page 6 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss 18 Days to come qualified in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I was amazed when told about this

Bronze: Domestic Installer Course

You even get to pass the test and inspect course.

is this really possible starting with no knowledge

Christ this really is belittling our trade. Now I know why I make a good living of sorting out bodge jobs.

Ok red understand it wasn't around years ago but the problem these days is they go on these short courses pass a few theory exams and these people are then loose in our trade without passing any practical exams if they were all made to passs am1 and am2 first then lots wouldn't pass and if they did ok at least they would have proved that they were competent

Well you can say what you like about the JIB and it's card accrediting process, but one thing's for sure, you'll not find a single electrical trainee or 17 day whizz kid on it's books anywhere!!

I read an article around a year ago where a spokesman for the JIB stated categorically, they would not be adding too, or changing grade requirements to accommodate fast track wanna-be electricians and the scheme providers alike.

So fair do's to them, it seems they are the only real check as to who is a qualified electrician, and more importantly what and who ''Isn't''!!

I'm going to play devil's advocate here (only read page 1 and this one) and ask is it not useful as a bare-bones basics for those who wish to be taken on with someone as a sparky's mate or similar in order to go from there?

Just putting it out there!

a bare bones basic is what it is. anyone that goes this route and then finds work for a couple of years as a mate can then probably class themselves as competent. if only the course providers would make that clear, we'd not have so many incompetents flooding the market. problem is that if these course providers were honest, they'd lose revenue.

wonder why comments are closed on the video! jesus if this was a dvd it would be under the counter material as its far too scary to be placed on top shelf amongst thrillers! as for age rating on it - id say you would of wanted to have expired yourself before watching! :)

taken from their site: I know a lot about electrics already, can I do installations myself without attending electrical training courses?
Probably not, it's very doubtful if you know enough to be a competent person without any formal electrical training. Plus it is now a criminal offence punishable by a £5000 fine if a non competent person installs electrics in a home that doesn't comply to Part P Building Regulations. Your installations must conform to the new Part P Building Regulations.

and they say they are napit and elecsa accredited training centres with 99% pass rates for students. wonder how many will complain on part p assessment day!

sod it, im not working this afternoon - maybe ill get a second trade behind me at such a test centre....they even let you split the course up if you don't have time to attend a full 18 days on the trot! mmm...

taken from their site: I know a lot about electrics already, can I do installations myself without attending electrical training courses?
Probably not, it's very doubtful if you know enough to be a competent person without any formal electrical training. Plus it is now a criminal offence punishable by a £5000 fine if a non competent person installs electrics in a home that doesn't comply to Part P Building Regulations. Your installations must conform to the new Part P Building Regulations.

and they say they are napit and elecsa accredited training centres with 99% pass rates for students. wonder how many will complain on part p assessment day!

sod it, im not working this afternoon - maybe ill get a second trade behind me at such a test centre....they even let you split the course up if you don't have time to attend a full 18 days on the trot! mmm...

And I'm thinking that they had to comply with BS 7671 where did I go wrong!!

I'm going to play devil's advocate here (only read page 1 and this one) and ask is it not useful as a bare-bones basics for those who wish to be taken on with someone as a sparky's mate or similar in order to go from there?

Just putting it out there!

And who is going to pay thousands of Pounds in order to become a mate for 2 or more years??

The sooner these candidates realise, that they can't and won't become electricians in a few day's the better!! And better still, get shot of the very people that are legitimising these training centre's short course's to nowhere with their own scams...

Reply to 18 Days to come qualified in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net